[SUCCESS] P377SM-A 4K Display Upgrade

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by DARCODER, Jan 7, 2016.

1. DARCODER

DARCODER Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Auo b173zan01.0 in datasheet is wrotten 14Watt and my edp is 15W so it should be fine no?

i also notice when i was measuring the current, it was keeping at 0.89 but for some resons i dont know, it was not keeping stable, so after 1minute or more less, it can be to .92 and i evwn see lowered to 0.74 when it was reaching the 0.7x, i notice flickering and less than 0.74 got black screen.

When i played with voltage, less than 3.1V, i had flickering then black screen.

So my panel is 'broken' or my laptop dont give enaugh current?

i_pk_pjers_i likes this.
  2. aarpcard

aarpcard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    When you're saying you're playing with voltage, do you mean by changing the inline resistance value of the resistor on VCC?

I'm telling you, that's not a good way to do it. When the screen needs more power it's input resistance will change, which will change the output voltage of the voltage divider you're essentially making with the resistor inline with VCC. So when the screen needs more current, you might actually be causing VCC to drop to an unacceptable level with that inline resistor.

You really should be testing it with a linear regulator first. So that way you can set a variable constant voltage. Use something like a LM350T and power it from either the PSU input or a bench supply. Use that to adjust the output voltage between 3-5V and see what works. http://www.newark.com/fairchild-semiconductor/lm350t/adjustable-linear-regulator-1/dp/58K8940

i_pk_pjers_i likes this.
  3. DARCODER

DARCODER Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Update:
    I still used a little external Module, connected from Vcc motherboard EDP 5V, to output 3.315V. If i measure from vcc output and a piece of metal in barebone, it mesure 3.18V. it also output btw 0.72-0.92A depending from laptop. With this module, as i don't have more than 6V, i can't decide how much current to output. I also had to protect the metal around the screen frame because it was causing interference=black screen popping up. In desktop mode for 2 days, maximum 2-3 black screen noticed. in game, it's a bit more complex, some times i got flickering but to stop them, i have to push to create a pression in the connector of the edp screen himself. Hazard or not, it seem to work till now.

Also, i notice if i open a pdf in center with text in black. After That, i open paint with a dark grey, i can barely see a close range ''shadow'' of my pdf. Same thing can happening with nbr forum. Someone know why this situation? and it can stay for long time, even after watching a clip on youtube but it's less.

4. DARCODER

DARCODER Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I let 10mn my desktop and here with a grey dark:
    134.jpg
    133.jpg

5. Akaraah

Akaraah Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  6. DARCODER

DARCODER Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  7. DARCODER

DARCODER Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Updated text in first page.

Akaraah likes this.
  8. aarpcard

aarpcard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Probably getting ready to do this soon . . . just want to make some clarifications.

Am I correct in understanding that you used a WQHD cable from a w230ss and spliced it to the p377sm-a EDP cable? So the LCD connector (40pin) from the w230ss cable was used with the motherboard side (30pin) of the p377sm edp cable.?

If so which part number for the w230ss cable did you use? 6-43-W23S1-010-K or 6-43-W23S1-020-k?

Also, doesn't 4k at 60fps require 4 display port lanes?

I'm looking at the schematics for the w230ss and the p377sm-a. The 30 pin motherboard epd connector on the p377sm-a only seems to have 3 edp lanes while the 30 pin motherboard connector on the w230ss has 4 edp lanes. How did you work around this?

I'm probably missing something pretty basic here lol.

EDIT:

Ohh, I think I figured out part of it. Lane #3 is listed as the EDP CLK in the p377sm-a motherboard schematic . . . ok.

DOUBLE EDIT:

So it seems the edp sockets on the motherboard for the w230ss and p377sm-a are identical. So did you simply just rearrange the pins in the w230ss cable?

Last edited: May 24, 2016
    bloodhawk likes this.
  9. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    Yes, precisely; they're erroneously labeled on the 3D-capable systems. That was also the clue 4k ought to work; these 3D eDP panels are 4-lane (LP173WF2-TPA1 and LP173WF2-TPB2), so it was a safe bet that the schematics were in error.

You can order either W230SS/SD cable, it doesn't matter which as long as it's not the 1080p/fhd cable. The qhd even has a few more pins on the motherboard-side than the wqhd version due to higher power demand (these are for voltage and ground). For this mod that is irrelevant, though, considering that it's only its lcd-side you're interested in.

aarpcard likes this.
  10. aarpcard

aarpcard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Cool stuff. Now to just source the parts.