[SUCCESS] P377SM-A 4K Display Upgrade

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by DARCODER, Jan 7, 2016.

1. DARCODER

DARCODER Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Little update, i didnt test voltage between ground and vcc..but between the resistor..used the wrong pin :)

i buy a w230ss cable, completely unmout each Pin in mb side and adjust it with my schema :) will share everything later. But i had to add pin from another cable because it wasnt enaugh and the resistor as well.

2. DARCODER

DARCODER Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    UPDATE:

-With one resistor ( 1% 5W 1.6ohm) give +-4.0V: flickering 1time per minute or nothing for 20-30minutes, depends idk :)
    -If i put in serie 2 resistor ( same) i got 3.5V but computer just beep 2times
    -If i put in parallel 2 resistor, i got 4.6V with more flickering very often.
    -If i put Vcc from lvds and Ground from edp, i got 3.5V but flickering often 2-3times per minute.

About Fixing screen inside panel, i have some trouble because i can only cut metal plastic... but making holes for screws...omg it is a pain. my tool can't make easely holes so i just fix the screen from top. And because of the driver of the display is sub, it is not easy to close the panel, i succeeded by forcing but i got symptoms of pressure, so i think i will cut it to create more space or i will find a solution.

3. DARCODER

DARCODER Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    About overclocking.... 64Hz Max :(

i_pk_pjers_i likes this.
  4. Akaraah

Akaraah Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Have an update: Wasn't able to get a custom cord made for my clevo p870dm-g 4K upgrade from the initial site/people I was in touch with. Ended up disassembling my laptop and putting it back together to see t he edp connection and sent the sales person various images of everything at request.

To no avail since they refused to make a cable unless I had images of the 4k screen working, which is kind of weird since the reason I contacted them was to build a cord that would allow me finally install it. :p. I even showed/provided video clips, teardowns, screen model numbers and so on and so forth in addition to my own photos but meh.

In the end it COULD make for an interesting thread if I provided the photos I took to show how to remove the screen frame and screen for others aiming to do the same thing I am. :)

So on and so...I did luck out in the end. I was able to talk to Eurocom about the cable and at first they were pretty unmoving about selling me a lone EDP cable since I already have the 4K screen and they only sell complete kits (screen, edp cable, etc) but they sold it to me and it'll ship on Monday (while not cheap, still not as much as buying the full upgrade kit). But once I have the cable and am able to install it all the upgrades to my p870dm-g will be FINALLY complete (besides storage which isn't a huge priority at the moment). :D

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  5. aarpcard

aarpcard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think the screen might be current starved with the resistor in line with vcc. How many amps is the screen supposed to draw? With a 1.6ohm resistor inline with VCC, you're limiting the max current draw to 3.125 amps assuming the screen has no input resistance, which can't be the case (that would lower it even further). Have you been measuring the voltage drop while the screen is powered up? Maybe the laptop can't supply enough power to the screen. . . . I'd try maybe powering it off of an external variable regulator, to see if you can solve the flicker issue, and then you can go from there.

6. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    Yes, a rheostat would help find the resistor value that produces the best results. Can't use it as a permanent solution since it's probably too large to fit inside the laptop. They're usually pretty expensive, though, but the 5W rating can be had for less; 5W rheostat for ~$15 (opt for the 10 Ohm version, just to be sure).

7. DARCODER

DARCODER Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Here data screen info about power.

Actually i tried both vcc from lvds and vcc from edp. Both gave me 5V, lvds in schematic should be 3.3v 2A and edp 5v 3A. Maybe because i keep ground from edp.

With this both situation, i didnt have any black screen but there is weird things sometimes appearing on the screen: like i can barely see my background while im launching a game for a few seconds. Or before i shut down the laptop on the blue background i can also barely see my desktop but at close views. It also appear on the corner right 2 'death pixel':when black color they appear white.
    And i also got some 'line refresh' horizontal.

i will try 2 convertor:
    -one who simply convert 5v into 3.3v
    -another one who convert 5v with my choice but keep 2A or 3A.

I think the problem is linked to voltage too high ( in datasheet max should be 3.6v) because i power it direclty from edp: in datasheet it is written: edp output 5v 3A.

If this is not the problem then i have maybe a broken screen or software causing these flickering. But these flickering are very discreet.

Attached Files:

8. DARCODER

DARCODER Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I dont understand how from 5v 3A i only got output of .89A?
    But i adjust it at 3.45V
    i tried to adjust current in both sense but Amp dont change stay at 0.89.. someone know why or how i can keep at least 2A ?

9. DARCODER

DARCODER Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Here a picture of the converter im using

Attached Files:

10. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    The 3A is the maximum current, not a continuous one. If a panel doesn't request/need more power then it will consume less than is at its disposal.

Mind that the '3A' references the backlight power (plvdd), not power to the lcd leds themselves. The backlight is the real power hog of an lcd, using three to four times as much as the rgb leds that make up the picture (plus the control circuit). Interestingly, the 3D eDP option has 5V*3A=15W available, yet the LVDS type only 3.3V*2A=6.6W, which is 1.9W less than the 1080p lvds (N173HGE-L11) needs at maximum brightness. So that's 1/5th underpowered, which explains why this 300 cd/m2 panel was measured at a mere 254 cd/m2 on nbc when ran from the P377SM-A while other systems showed a solid ~300, as it should.

i_pk_pjers_i likes this.