[SUCCESS] P377SM-A 4K Display Upgrade

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by DARCODER, Jan 7, 2016.

1. DARCODER

DARCODER Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    it worked but in the second step of installing screen inside and so one, i boot another time then each 2, 5 or 10 seconds, it go black then go back normal immediately. I dont know if the screen cable disconnect a bit while i close the laptop, or lvds 3.3V is not enaught for the screen. I will stop working on it and waiting my resistor so i can use edp Vcc power instead.

Also it take me a whole afternoon to create the cable.. when im sure everything works good, i will give a tutorial and schema for DIY the cable and fixing the screen on the panel as i also had to cut a bit the barbone and still not finish.

Screen is much better color are deep and i enjoyed( even with the screen 'bug' ) a 4k youtube video clips. But 60Hz... i hope i can overclock much more :)

2. Brent R.

Brent R. Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    sweet man I can't wait to see more...you will have to include how you got all the parts to do this :)

3. DARCODER

DARCODER Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Here some updates i forget to share:

-Hotkey brightness doesnt work, just had to create a brigntnessColor in regedit. So brightness can be adjust with windows.
    -This is funny, after testing a game (gta5) screen stop bugging while gaming and even back in windows. So it is just a problem of power :)

Apparently i dont understand why p870dm for screen use 3.3V 2A and p377sma give also 3.3v 2A and seem not enaught.

4. Akaraah

Akaraah Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Heya. Pretty interesting thread thus far and post. Similar to what I want to do. :) I bought the 4K AUO panel for my P870DM (B173ZAN01.0) hoping to upgrade to 4K but my current is just FHD 1080p and G-sync. Only issue is that the G-sync model I have has a 30 pin EDP port while the 4K panel I bought is 40 pin EDP. Do you know if there's a converter cable I can buy that would work or know if there's a modder out there who would/could create the edp converter (30 pin female to 40 pin male) out there? Basically, something like this I found on ebay but guaranteed to work: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221335173883

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  5. DARCODER

DARCODER Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Find a reseller to buy the cable. Tell them you have p870dm and 4k auo screen. Your laptop is made for 4k so no need to mod anything, cable allready exist. But you will have to totally unmount the laptop to connect new edp.

6. Akaraah

Akaraah Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks and way ahead of ya'! ;-) Found a reseller and am already in conversation with them at this very moment (providing reference images and pin specifics atm). So will let you know once it's all ready. And by unmount do you mean remove the FHD panel or something else? I've done that in the past to just to see the the inner components and how it should/could be done. Or do you mean complete dis-assembly?

7. DARCODER

DARCODER Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes you will have to disassemble totaly the laptop. But it is easy, just take your time and make sure when you remove parts, no cable still fixed. When you remove a part, take it of slowly then you can feel if a screw or cable is still fix ;) you can reach p870dm thread and ask info with people who allready unmount it.

8. aarpcard

aarpcard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Holy crap. I'm definitely doing this, once I get the funds for the panel. As for the power issue, I'd say just tap it off the PSU with a voltage regulator or buck converter. Major props man!

9. DARCODER

DARCODER Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Update:

Thanks to t456 and Khenglish! Now i plug some missing Ground Pin from AUO screen but present in edp Mb, 4 pins.
    And result: it's working! The panel drive actually at 1.01V i tried 2 and 3 vcc from edp Mb but same result: 1-1.1V, often stable at 1.01V.
    No artefact or flashing black. The panel for 30 mn with 4k youtube and in gta5 didnt bug anytime even with a so low voltage. :) i might be lucky or idk.. but im waiting little resistor to test them also.

Next step will be incorporate the panel inside the barebone, i'm trying to find the easiest solution but because of space, you wil have to cut some pieces inside the back panel of the laptop.

We can confirm, 4k Is compatible with p375smA And p377sma :)

TomJGX, Akaraah, t456 and 1 other person like this.
  10. aarpcard

aarpcard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just to clarify. Did you actually have to build the cable, or did you just buy a wqhd w230ss cable and modify it with a resistor?