[SUCCESS] P377SM-A 4K Display Upgrade

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by DARCODER, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Eurocom Support

Eurocom Support Company Representative

Reputations:
    Does LCD fits properly inside or you had to do some mechanical modifications. Which version of BIOS/EC are you using? Make a great video and share your joy of upgrading. Make the difference! Be the First!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  2. DARCODER

DARCODER Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Some Mechanical mod needed. To fit it, there is 2 solution i tried: by modding the lcd support, cutting a space both of down support and extend those above. Or The easier way, is taking the frame of lcd from a compatible screen, just putting it arround the new display and glue it or silicon it arround with the frame (where the screen should be fix with screws). we also have to remove the metal frame fixed in barebone because the driver of new screen is down ( not behind the display).
    Also, no contact between metal barebone and display. we can use anything such as tape.

My bios is from Prema.
    i would love to make a video but i have not such more time for modding this year, i dont even find the time to mod ( dremel) the barebone+heatsink for the msi 1070 gpu.

3. aarpcard

aarpcard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I originally tried doing this/something similar (see earlier in the thread). Ultimately it seemed that for some reason, when the 3.3v rail was loaded, the screen would draw too much current and pull the voltage down to about 1.9V which was out of spec for the screen to even turn on.

Its strange because the 3.3v and 5v are generated by the same circuit.. . . Do you have any insight?

TomJGX likes this.
  4. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The 1M Ohm resistor R388 used in the absence of PLVDD_sel to pull the signal high to select 3.3V may have too high of a resistance for the power FETs used in the P377SM (design error by Clevo). I'd lower its value. You can just pencil it a little to test this. Make sure PLVDD_sel is not connected.

If this doesn't get you 3.3V then I'd bypass both PLVDD select and 3.3VS circuits and wire straight to the 3.3V power source, called VDD3 in the service manual schematic. Jumper PJ11 would be a good place to solder a wire to. Page 68 has this circuit in the service manual.

5. aarpcard

aarpcard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Small update:

I tapped directly into VDD3 as @Khenglish suggested and everything works. No voltage drop and no more need for the buck converter.

6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    That should make things a fair amount more compact and efficient :)

aarpcard likes this.
  7. Rikoshet

Rikoshet Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Guys, good news here, I have an old p370em and I just upgraded my screen to 4K thanks to this thread!

bennyg likes this.
  8. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Nice, what panel and what steps did you take exactly?

9. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Good! What panel did you use?

10. Rikoshet

Rikoshet Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was using the same AUO panel and cable as OP. Did exactly as he described but no tricky work to obtain 3.3v for the panel, I have 3.3v by default an my panel works at 3.20v.

The only problem I have is flicker (lastly not so much, don't know why) and fixing the panel since the holes on panel are totally mismatched respect to original one.

Oh, I see you guys are representatives of 2 companies. Sorry to say but this panel model and this clevo pc are not completely compatible physically.