[SUCCESS] P377SM-A 4K Display Upgrade

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by DARCODER, Jan 7, 2016.

1. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    By "driver" you mean no step down converter and the panel is getting 5V (ish) ?

2. DARCODER

DARCODER Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    for me the "driver" is a 5v converter into any value you want. Here we want to be close to 3.3v-3.45V. With still keeping 1A, the screen use between 700 and 900mA.

3. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I haven't posted here in years, but seeing everyone use a buck converter to step the 5V down to 3.3V makes me cringe. The motherboard has a 3.3V vs 5V voltage select. You just have to cut the PLVDD_SEL line and you get 3.3V. This is why LVDS has 3.3V on PLVDD, as the PLVDD_SEL line is missing on LVDS, so the default 3.3V is selected. You just need to make it missing on eDP as well.

SM3 EDP.png

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  4. DARCODER

DARCODER Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    well, i didnt cut the connection but i remove the pin from edp port. it make the screen flickering a bit.
    It"s been 2 months i am using the screen at 5v without any converter, still working good.

5. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Are you saying you pulled the PLVDD_SEL pin and the voltage is still 5V?

As for the screen flickering, how well built is your cable? I had to wrap mine in aluminum foil to avoid noise from the motherboard ruining the eDP signal.

6. DARCODER

DARCODER Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I couldn't test the voltage hopelessly. The screen flicker a bit (noticeable in blue background ) if the plvdd is removed.
    But my cable seem good, I didn't cut it, I just unplug every pins to set them in order for edp port

7. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ah, nice work. How did you get the glue off without damaging the cable? Did just Isopropyl alcohol work?

So the flickering is worse than just normal dithering flickering though? That's odd.

8. DARCODER

DARCODER Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    First with a cutter, i cut (perpandicular) between each pin to create less 'glue power'. Then with a needle, from inside each space of the pin, i remove it ( it should just broke or beeing removed "as a ring with the cable" of the pin). Hope you understand my english :))
    If we knew what is the glue model used, we could find the dissolving liquid agent.

Well at 5v, my screen look just normal, i will say near perfect ( still have a little ghost effect but only after 10mn but disappear pretty fast and noticeable only in dark grey).
    If i disconnect PLVDD-sel, the screen flicker a bit in blue and if i look deeply my background, i can notice it. I don't know why....maybe my screen is dying bcse i m using it at 5v.

9. Eurocom Support

Eurocom Support Company Representative

Reputations:
    Please verify that all functions are working too including brightness control, etc. Otherwise we may need to update BIOS/EC. Keep us posted.

10. DARCODER

DARCODER Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks for your answer!
    Well, with converter (3.45v) or without ( 5v) in edp connector with a modded cable, display is working good, the brightness control can only be adjust in control center or with windows battery. The brightness hotkey(s) don't work, that's the only issue reported.
    The hotkey FN+f2 to shutdown display is working.

By the way, the laptop is from your great company :)