[SUCCESS] P377SM-A 4K Display Upgrade

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by DARCODER, Jan 7, 2016.

1. DARCODER

DARCODER Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So I'm going to try this upgrade for our P377sma/ p375sma laptop.

Physically, it is not the same panel, But With some milling, it gonna fit.
    About this, i have to wait my panel to arrive, got some ideas in mind how to fit it in our p37x body... ;)

Actual parameters:
    LP173WF2 50PIN==EDP Cable== 15x2 EDP MB

TEST:
    B173ZAN01.0 40PIN==Mod EDP==15x2 EDP MB

If we read the datasheet of both display we can see it might be compatible with some little Mod:

LG FHD:
    LG display.PNG

AUO UHD:
    AUO display.PNG

==> Just a story of joining some "Gound" PINs & "Logic Input Power"
    Hopefully, the AUO screen has 2 optional PINS inexistent in Lg display, so not a problem.

I'm waiting the answer of a Chinese who tell me he can build the cable, Just waiting and hope he will accept for a little quantities...
    Otherwize, between actual P377 edp cable and W230SS wqhd cable, i will create this connection because qhd cable from w230ss is 40pin from display and p377 edp is 15x2 (30) pin to Motherboard.

The objective of this mod EDP is to imitate the P377sma edp cable with 40 pins instead of 50.

My fears is Actual P377sma edp output 5V and actual AUO UHD is MAx 3.3V. Let's hope this is adjusted automatically.
    My other fear is that the panel where i will buy it seem not a legit one.. both Ebay or Taobao are not true AUO panel...So i hope i receive a working unit.

If you got questions or Adjust/refute my theory or to suggest other ways, Lets share our imagination to make it work :)

UPDATE: Working Good

12722456_10153969233139874_809113717_o.jpg

-Setting module at 3.35V and using good connectic, i fix my module instead of the DVD burner. We could keep the dvd burner but i need to have something more little. i tried a little module 5v to 3.3V but it was so warm after a few minute it start to flash black screen. It might work to instal it behind the screen connected with a large heatsink. I will try others options another time.

-To avoid black screen, fix some tape in the 4 'screws zone' of the screen: it will avoid metal ground contact between display and laptop.

I decided personally to not make a tutorial to share with anyone because it is easy to screw the laptop or the display: you have to cut the bottom screw zone of the screen, you have to cut some parts of the top case of the screen, and so on..
    But it is fully working, 3 days no more black screen, flickering. To avoid ghost behind dark grey, you have to set light at max 50%. These ghosts picture are temporary, i might have 'burn" this screen while i was using it at 5V i guess.

I share my connectic plans for people who are interested. If you are interested to mod your laptop with 4k, i will explain it by private message but i don't recommend it since 60Hz is really annoying for game, you can play at 4k with single gtx980m at medium/high settings without filters, you will have 60fps.
    Battery no last too long. i use 150% scaling when a friend prefer 200% instead. Don't forget in nvidia panel to set 8bpc.

-The Clevo hot keys FN+F8/F9 will not work even with this astuce. To allow brightness control from windows tools or hotkey software, you have to create a reg key at:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\
    Search for Nvidia then add a reg_dword EnableBrightnessControl with a value of 1
    Should be folder: {63826910-73EC-4997-9DF8-C8610E825AD8}
    If you have SLI, for new windows maj, this key need to be ad in other folder not only 0000.

Restart then you can control brightness and control center.

Connectic schemas:
    plan schema (1).jpg
    plan schema (2).jpg

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  2. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    Keeping a lookout on this! Good Luck!

3. Brent R.

Brent R. Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    sweet can't wait to see how this works out!

4. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    If the voltage is not adjusted; it's only a little over absolute maximum and a single, high-watt resistor can take care of that eventuality. The AUO takes ~2.75W/3.3V to drive the lcd, the LG 5.5W/5V. Anything like these will do nicely; insert it between the joined/split vcc wires, that way you only need a single, large resistor instead of four smaller ones. Considering they cost ~$2, it makes sense to try with the resistor first and remove it if the image is intermittent/blinking or completely black (if the mb does auto-adjust voltage, then the resistor will drive it under Vmin).
    There's a chance you'll receive a Chi Mei Innolux instead: 17.3" 4k eDP panels.

Insist on the AUO before ordering, the price is high enough. Actually a bit too expensive, though according to Prema a high percentage of the run didn't pass quality checks, so that would inflate the price of those that did pass. Once they have the production under control, expect the price to drop somewhat.

Also, glory to the brave :vbthumbsup: !!!

DARCODER and TomJGX like this.
  5. DARCODER

DARCODER Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Update:
    about Edp cable: the first seller didn't answer back ( as it was not for a large quantity i guess). Another one is ok. I'm waiting is answer about edp mod.

Some information i found useful:
    AUO connectic is: 20455 40Pin
    i guess Mb clevo connectic is: NX1001-2X15SMS ( so the cable need to be: JOINT TECH A1001H-2X15P)

I bought my panel in taobao for 75$...lol and waiting shipping price with agent...first time using an agent as sellor didnt give any QQ email.
    For people who don't know, actually, from ebay and taobao, it is all same innolux display told by T456 :)
    I have on my old list a chinese who can sell me the original AUO panel but it was 300$. He told me price will reduce when demands will grew up.

6. Support.1@XOTIC PC

Support.1@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Good luck on getting everything set up for this. Take some pictures and show us how the progress is going when you are able to get the parts set up.

7. DARCODER

DARCODER Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Update:
    -4k display received brand is AUO
    -wqhd w230ss cable received, it also has 30pin edp motherboard connector like p37xSmA.
    Have to wait till resistor arrive to mod cable if needed and test :)

TomJGX likes this.
  8. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    Looking forward to hearing about your progress on this! This would be a really interesting mod for all those P377SM-A owners which should be able to play at 4K with 980M SLI but can't really do so because of the full HD Screen!

9. DARCODER

DARCODER Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Glad to inform its working :)
    it's still not finish but here a beta view

To manage 3.3V instead of 5V i used lvds port :) So no needed any resistor as i still dont know if edp auto adjust or not voltage.

Attached Files:

Johnksss and TomJGX like this.
  10. Support.1@XOTIC PC

Support.1@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    That's awesome to hear it worked. Can't wait to hear your thoughts when it is done.