stuttering/slowdown in Battlefield 3

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Munkyman, Aug 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Munkyman

Munkyman Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys

I have an M18x with SLI GTX560 graphics cards, 6GB of ram and an i7 2670 processor (2.20GHz) No modifications from the stock build.

After 10 minutes of playing (Battlefield 3) the game begins to slow-down and stutter. It's unplayable (roughly 5 frames per second) The game had previously been fine and could play the game for hours on end. It is not set to the highest graphics and since the problem appeared, I have lowered the graphic settings to medium and the problem still occurs. There are zero graphical problems/glitches when in normal use. I only get this issue when playing a game.

I have taken the bottom panel off the laptop and cleaned it, looked at the fans (neither of which showed much signs of dust/clogging)

I downloaded the program HWinfo so I could monitor the temps and fan speeds and noticed that after playing Battlefield until the stuttering issue, that the GPU fan speeds seem to differ by about 1000rpm. Could this be my problem? Should both GPU fans spin up to *roughly* the same speed or is the difference I am seeing normal?

Does anyone else have any ideas as to what the problem could be?

6ed.png

2. p4izanagi

p4izanagi Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Wow , that temp.90C. i guess you could try cleaning your vents first.
    im sure after cleaning your vents, it will have no problems :)

the 5fps occurs because nvidia forces the GPU Clock and memory clock to P0 state (idle state) to save your GPU from overheating .

3. IanC

IanC Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Are you using WiFi? If so which wireless card are you using.

I had this problem put a better card in and the stuttering went away

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 4

4. vs3074

vs3074 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sounds like you need to respaste the gpu's.

Otherwise it could be wifi/Internet connection. I have had really bad lag and stutter last few days and its only in bf3.

5. [Nikos]

[Nikos] Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm going to repaste the gpus too, just one question:

Do I have to remove the thermal pads from memorys and put some new ones?
    or if I do it carefully can I use the thermal pads again?
    I mean that if you take off the heatsink the pads get broke?

Thank you!

6. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Just pull the Heatsinks off the card slowly so you don't tear a pad. Be careful you don't drop one somewhere dirty as they'll pick up dust or dirt. You can reuse them no problem if they remain clean.
    As already suggested you should clean your fans and HS's first if you haven't already.

7. ratchet916

ratchet916 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That certainly appears to be thermal throttling at its finest (worst). The MSI laptop I used to have (GT783) with a single 580m used to do that all the time, but that was just because of poor cooling system design... it used a SINGLE cooling fan/heatsink to cool both the CPU and GPU, what a joke! Anyway, games would play just fine for a few minutes, then as the GPU reached near 90c, it would stutter and chunk along because of the throttling... God, I truly hated that laptop.

Anyway, with your primary card peaking at 90c, that's a sure bet you're experiencing the same type of thermal throttling issues. I would try going in and doing a DEEP cleaning on the fans and heatsinks like others have suggested (make sure you remove the fans from the heat spreaders and clean them separately so you get all the crap in between them), and then give her another shot before you try repasting. You've likely just got way too much dirt and debris in there for the cooling to keep up.

8. Alienware-Alex_J

Alienware-Alex_J Company Representative

Reputations:
    Your primary VC reached 90°C which is going to cause this throttling down issue. Try to remove the fans and make sure that the heat-sinks are clean as well. If that was already done, try re-pasting your GPU with new thermal compound and thermal pads as shown here. I would also check the CPU temps.

Checkout this video for a better on how to re-paste your GPU's.

[Nikos] likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.