Studio 1737 can upgrade to Q9000?

Discussion in 'Dell Inspiron and Dell Studio' started by wind30, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wind30

wind30 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    kind of curious,

can the P8600 processor in my 1737 be upgraded to a quad core? I do some video encoding and it is still a bit slow.

2. Commander Wolf

Commander Wolf can i haz broadwell? Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It's possible, but maybe less than probable. Assuming you have the newer Studio 17 revision with a 45-Series chipset (and I think you do, since it's a 1737?), your chipset officially supports all Socket P processors (including the Q9000), but your BIOS may not support it and your power circuitry may not be beefy enough to handle the extra TDP.

It's really unscientific, but the best way to test compatibility in these situations is to try it for yourself, or search for others who have done the same upgrade (was unable to find anything on Google). In general, I'd say no, but there's a guy running Core 2 Extremes in an Inspiron 1720, and those have the same TDP as the quads.

3. Mastershroom

Mastershroom wat

Reputations:
    Words of wisdom from the good Commander. :p

Just buy one from someplace that has a good return policy, and try it for yourself. Make sure you update to the latest BIOS revision before you try.

4. Commander Wolf

Commander Wolf can i haz broadwell? Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Yeah, that's a good call. If you're in California, you can try Fry's as well. As bad as it is, I've bought a few things from them just to try out and return. They'll usually take stuff back with little or no hassle (just watch out for doodads that fall outside the usual return policy). Dunno if you can actually buy a Q9000 there, though...

5. Mastershroom

Mastershroom wat

Reputations:
    For the record, I've never seen any mobile processors in an actual store. Out here in Ohio we only have Micro Center, but from what I hear it's very similar to your Fry's. They've got desktop dual-cores and quad-cores out the wazoo, but they have a sadly limited range of notebook parts.

6. wind30

wind30 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    thanks for the advice.

the 45W and 25W does seems to be a big difference.

I am wondering if anyone has done it before. To confirm if it is possible

7. Mastershroom

Mastershroom wat

Reputations:
    I know for a fact that it can handle at least 35W, since the Txxxx processors draw that much.

8. Miladsina

Miladsina Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    if dell had supported a new BIOS that identify quad CPUs it is possible.
    also if your system has not two separate cooling system it's not recommended. however if your system runs cool (about 40 or 50 C ) u can do that upgrade.
    also notice about that your cpu heat sink has harmony with quad core or not, as quad core CPUs needs two smooth contact with heat sink

9. Mastershroom

Mastershroom wat

Reputations:
    These heatsinks have plenty of surface area for dual-die processors (quad cores).

I can confirm that the Studio's power circuitry can handle 45W; someone got theirs working with an X9000 Core 2 Extreme. It's only dual core, but draws 45W just like a Core 2 Quad. So, the only possibly limiting factor here is the BIOS support. And unfortunately, there's really no way to determine that other than actually putting in a quad-core and seeing if it runs.

10. Ice Cold

Ice Cold Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    we are 50% there solving this, we know the hardware is compatible physicaly and power TDP wise. The easiest thing to do know is find out which BIOS version you have name and version. And see if that BIOS is compatible with the Q9000, and thats it. Because remember there must be BIOS support for it to work too.

All you need then is some high quality Artic Silver and a Q9000, now that Core i7 is out you can find one new for about $200 to $250.

4 Cores at 2Ghz each that should be nice

unlike the Core i7 that needs to shut down 2 core to then boost the other 2 Cores to 2.8Ghz, So you only have 2 Cores

Not loving the Core i7 now I am waiting for Arrandale and Sandy Bridge

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.