1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Studio 15 Sound Problems

Discussion in 'Dell Inspiron and Dell Studio' started by Retserof, Jul 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Retserof

Retserof Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So, just got my new laptop yesterday :D ... hooray!.... except the speakers are absolutely terrible. Everything else on the laptop is perfect, touchpad is great, keys make little to no noise, minimal if any flex on the keyboard, fingerprint scanner works every time, no bottlenecking, no lag, perfect wireless connection two floors up, NO PROBLEMS... except the speakers.

Whenever I play music, or any sound comes out of the computer, it will occasionally be distorted or crackle/pop or just plain stop for a half a second. Tried playing music in itunes, and in quicktime (in firefox), but its still the same. So I go and contact dell support over chat, and the guy was helpful and all, and at first it seemed like he fixed the problem. Little while later it starts crackling and stuff again.

I'm a classic rock nut. I'm about to transfer 5gigs of music from my old computer to my laptop, but I dunno if it's worth it now. I updated the audio drivers and the bios, but that didn't help. Anyone have any suggestions? Worst case senario, I'm thinking of just buying the audio express card (ExpressCard Sound Blaster X-Fi® Xtreme Audio Sound Card). But I'm not sure about that either. Does the audio still channel through the integrated card? Because then the distortion would still be there. Could anyone tell me how this would work/help?

By the way, the studio is pretty sweet. :p If anyone wants a picture of something or would like me to test/describe something, I'd be happy to do so.

Mannnnnnn. Really wanna crack some zeppelin right now. :(

2. lotta221211

lotta221211 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    From what I've learned about the Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Card, the sound coming out of the laptop speakers will not change. It only effects headphones and external speakers. That is why I did not upgrade to the Sound Blaster card.

3. domeden

domeden Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Crackling, popping and skipping of audio tracks is a well known problem with iTunes. I've had this problem through many different versions of iTunes...fixes include turning off crossfade, turning off the sound enhancer (Edit > Preferences > Playback)...try Google for some more fixes.

Have you tried playing audio through Winamp/Windows Media Player?

4. Retserof

Reputations:
    Yeah, I've tried playing in Windows media player, but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Slightly less frequent distortion, probably because the only files I have on here are WMA.

Anyway, the sound is still distorted when I'm playing games as well. So I'm guessing it has nothing to do with what exactly is playing it.

And about the sound card, does the sound channel through the laptop into the card, or straight through the card? I'm gonna be using external speakers/headphones anyway, so it doesn't really matter if it plays through the internal speakers or not. Just don't want the popping/cracking be there.

5. lotta221211

Reputations:
    I'm almost positive it won't be there if you use external speakers. Just plug in headphones or speakers and see...

6. Retserof

Reputations:
    Tried it with usb speakers and earbuds, still skips n' pops. Maybe not as much, but its hard to tell really. It's not constant, but rather annoying.

Now, granted these are absolutely crappy earbuds and speakers (10$ range) but they worked fine for my desktop.... Anything like this with your studio? Maybe my speakers are just defective.

EDIT: Ah, right, haven't gotten yours yet.

7. rafucho

rafucho Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a Creative Xmod, got it for $40 in CircuitCity, and it works great...
    Maybe you should think about it, or ask Dell for a replacement!

8. lotta221211

Reputations:
    Check out this thread - it may be effecting Studios also...

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=194986

9. Retserof

Reputations:
    I tried that, and it seems to crack less now... anyway, thats the exact same problem I'm having. I'll reference it the next time I call dell.... which is now..

Sounds like it has something to do with the wireless N card or something. Meh.

10. Sebastien

Sebastien Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm a classic rock nut myself, don't you think it deserves something better than laptop speakers... I've used a lot of laptops and they all sound like crap. And the whole laptop integrated subwoofer thing is a joke.

Re-installing the drivers over and over again is useless, it's like upgrading to the best audio receiver but keeping $20 speakers.