[Student] Decent performing with good battery life?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Awemage, Jul 27, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Awemage

Awemage Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget?

>$2800 USD

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.

The US.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

b. Dislike: Apple, Alienware, Lenovo.
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

Sure.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Student CAD (Workstation GPU not needed), low-impact gaming, college office work.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

Both. Will take it with me to class at the college and LAN parties.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?

Yes. Low-impact gaming while plugged in (CS:GO, Payday 2, Overwatch, Prison Architect.).
    I'm not averred to turning down settings.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

Typical college day while unplugged, so about 6 hours under normal office work.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

Purchasing it online is fine.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, etc.

As long as it's not Windows 8 it's A-OK. Prefer either 10 or 7.

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)

1920x1080 is preferred, anything larger than that is a bit small, but I don't mind.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)

Either is fine.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

No. I just prefer something that's not ultra bulky like the Asus ROG series.

ALSO: If the notebook is heavier I don't care. I'm a beefcake barrel chested mofo made for climbing mountains to fight bears, I can carry a few more pounds.

15) When are you buying this laptop?

Sometime before September.

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?

If it has the specs required to do what I specified this is a non-issue. At least 2-4 years.

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?

1TB needed. SSD is nice but not necessary.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?

No. However if it's present it's fine.

Notes: Basically I just want something that has a decent CPU and GPU when needed (Not explosively amazing), and that'll last me a college day (6 hours avg.).

2. penguinslider

penguinslider Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I probably should be called a product champion for this one because of the number times of times I recommended it but check out the Dell Precision 7510.

There is a big thread here under the Dell Precision forums and I just got one myself for photography purposes. It has a tough chassis with MIL-STD rating, workstation GPU that is supposedly able give you better reliability for AutoCAD, good FHD screen, easily upgradable because of the ease of access to internals and covered by Dell warranty. I just put it together last week and I still giggle like a little girl every time I boot it up.

You can save a lot of money by ordering it with the minimum RAM and Drive space, and then ordering aftermarket stuff. installing components on your own wont void the warranty.

Kent T and Awemage like this.
  3. Krowe

Krowe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thats one hell of a budget for not that high of requirements. You can easily pick up a Dell Latitude E5570 with an i7-6820HQ, AMD Radeon™ R7 M370, 16GB DDR4, 1080p IPS panel, 512GB SSD + an 84Whr battery for $2200 without any sort of coupons. With coupons, you can probably knock it down to about $2000. This is with 3 years of ProSupport with Next Business Day Onsite service.
    You can try to pick one up from the outlet, but these aren't standard specs. That said, if you're willing to swap in RAM, SSD and Battery yourself, you can probably nab one for far less.

If you need more RAM (up to 32GB) or want a FirePro, or a Xeon, you can step it up to a Precision 3510. If you want even more than that 7510 would be your best bet. But be careful, 7510 can get real expensive really quickly.

And as always with Dells, coupons! and go hunting in the outlet. You never know what you'll find.

Kent T and Awemage like this.
  4. Awemage

Reputations:
    Looks solid. However, I don't need a workstation class GPU, I can run Inventor just fine on the 660 Ti in my desktop, but I won't be taking that with me. Any options that have a consumer grade GPU?

5. Awemage

Reputations:
    The budget is pretty high for some flexibility, but I don't have to spend that much. The Lattitude looks nice, but the GPU isn't really that great. Any ideas for something with more punch to it? Like 950m/960m class performance, maybe?

6. Krowe

Reputations:
    Well Precision 3510 only goes up to FirePro W5130M, not 960m ish performance. If you want that something in that neighborhood, Quadro M2000M is available on the 7510. Its a bit of a hit on the battery (6ish hours typical productivity from what I see around the office), also heavy. Bright side is that you can get a really decent one for around $2K, and they're built like tanks.

Awemage likes this.
  7. penguinslider

penguinslider Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I know you said you don't need it but given you budget, it won't hurt to have one. If you get the Quadro M2000M option for the 7510, that is a GTX 960M equivalent.

Awemage likes this.
  8. Awemage

Reputations:
    6 hours of battery is what I need, and that's about the GPU I need. Sounds good.

9. Krowe

Reputations:
    Don't get 4K screen if you want that battery life. Powersaver mode is also recommended when you are not using it for rendering tasks, keeps it cooler and extends the battery life.

10. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Also look at the Precision 5510 (basically the XPS15 9550) with the 84Whr battery and, as recommended above, the FHD panel. I recently bought one and it's very frugal on power under light usage in spite of the quad core CPU.

John

Awemage likes this.