1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Stuck screw in my Dell laptop

Discussion in 'Dell' started by yasdaz, Dec 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yasdaz

yasdaz Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi, I have a 1330. I decided to take out the h/d when I recieved the machine to see how easy it was. In putting it back together, something went wrong. I don't know what exactly happened but the screw in the hole which is really long is stuck. It seems to have "caught" somewhere in the hole's entrance. I can spin it around but it neither comes in nor out. It does not come out when I turn the machine upside down. I can get in there with a small screwdriver and lift one side up but that does nothing. Does anyone have any ideas of what happened and more importantly, how to get out of this? I can't get the h/d out now and that, obviously, is a problem. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Yasmine

2. sly

sly m1530 owner!!!

Reputations:
    try one of those screw drivers with the magnetic heads and then lift it out . otherwise if its real problem call dell

3. yasdaz

Reputations:
    Hi, I did call Dell Tech Support (in fact their xps t/s). The guy was nice but was basically giving me useless tips that would not work. No mention of a repair.

4. Greg

Greg Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    They probably won't offer to repair it, since you were the one the damaged it. Honestly, you probably stripped the screw and it might be a pain to get out.

5. mattireland

mattireland It used to be the iLand..

Reputations:
    Yes, to be honest when you opened up the machine you probably invalidated the guarantee so they won't be overly inclined to help unfortunately :(

6. deathpenalty

deathpenalty Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Try a pair of very thin tweezers to try and grip both sides.

7. Khris

Khris Yes I am better than you!

Reputations:
    The OP didn't say he opened the machine......he took the hard drive out which is a user serviceable part and will not void the warranty.

Having said that however, since the OP caused the problem, Dell won't repair it at their expense.

8. yasdaz

Reputations:
    Hi, thanks for all the replies. You will not believe how I solved this. First, the problem was that there were two different sizes of screws, one long, one short. For some reason, instead of just not fitting, as it were, when the screws are put into the wrong holes they get stuck. As far as I am concerned, this is a design flaw and Dell should mention this in their book that comes with the 1330. I don't think anyone should reasonably be able to know that the screw in the wrong hole will get stuck, not just not fit. Anyway, I was picking up some ram so I asked the people at the store. The guy said that it was simple; take a flat edge and use it as a wedge to pull one end of the screw higher than the other, then simply use the screwdriver to turn the screw out of the hole. It worked! So now I know a great tip for this situation which I will be passing on to any tech I meet. It's so easy and simple! At least my crisis is solved and I so appreciate everyone's contribution.

9. mattireland

mattireland It used to be the iLand..

Reputations:
    Thanks for letting me know about this - c'est interessant. Glad you got it fixed!

10. outkastland

outkastland Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Congrats on getting it fixed, it didn't sound to tough to do luckily.