Stuck between a Clevo or Gt75 Titan from HIDevolution

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Wild Turkey, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    New to "posting" here on the forum, been lurking for awhile. So I spend 2-3 weeks a month traveling to our Nations Borders for work. I spend the majority of my free time sitting in my hotel room watching anything but TV, so suffice to say I binge game on my week off and this just ain't cutting it. I have $2500 in hand but want more(was trying to finance but there is no option to do just half/down payment etc). so around $4000 max

This is what I currently Game on - https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhveCQysUfvvjg-GDCDLWm7X3iMr

What I am looking for is reliability and 99% Gaming. I like the idea of 1440p though 17" might feel a bit squashed compared to what I am used to. I may or may not use a gamepad so the whole "Clevo keyboard thing" would be almost a mute point.

So it would be the P870TM1 variant or the GT75 Titan like @Ultra Male 's build (but not all those drives).
    latest gen CPU 8700k in Clevo or the i9 in GT75
    32Gb ram - keep it at the 2400MHz
    2 drives (1 for OS/Programs, 1 for Games) I always do this. Probably 2 970 pros.
    1080 or 1070SLI
    upgraded thermals and extras from HID etc.

Being that it will be sitting on a desk in a hotel room kept around 70deg all the time, thermals shouldn't be to bad but being a water cooler I still want the best I can get.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  2. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would go for the clevo with one GTX1080 but with the vapor chamber heatsink.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    Papusan likes this.
  3. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    If it was my money, I would get the GT75. It has way better cooling than the Clevo, way better screen, and keyboard even though you don't care about the keyboard. The screen is like night and day difference vs. the Clevo, it has brighter colors, more accurate, and a faster refresh rate. I've had the 1440P screen on my P870DM3 before and I hated every moment of owning that laptop because of that piece of garbage grainy screen.

the GT75 can be upgraded as you please in the future so as you mentioned you can get the base model of the -094 variant of the GT75 like me and upgrade RAM and whatnot in the future when you need to..

Also MSI has way better driver support than Clevo if that matters to you. I would never buy a Clevo machine after my bad experience with their ****ty drivers and subpar screens in the past even if they had the fastest rocket laptop. It spoils the whole user experience.

Call or Email donald@hidevolution.com before you order to get the NBR Forum discount.

Check this thread: NVMe vs. SATA SSDs for Gamers

PS: Order the GT75 with the Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut + Fujipoly Thermal Pads + Bottom Panel Mod:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    Vistar Shook likes this.
  4. Wild Turkey

Reputations:
    YEAP, I have leaned towards the GT75 from the get go but my inner geek likes to tinker. Then again I just want my stuff to work.

Yeah but its a PITA to get another stick of ram in there with the whole "board flip".

Yeah I have spent the last month going over reviews etc on both, the Clevo keyboard issues, drivers, finicky screens etc and the GT75. Stability is key to me, I can tweak/OC but I don't care about Benchmarking.

Yeap The upgraded cooling pads and the mod where on my list already! I have a 256GB Hyperx SSD(the older Blue one) laying around, I could use that for my games drive temporarily. Or take the Hyperx Savage 960GB out of the Desktop and use it. I have a 5TB external that I use for my XBOX with all my movies/MP3's etc on it so thats taken care of for mass storage.

5. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    you can tell them to install the current RAM under the keyboard so you have 2 free RAM slots that are easily accessible under the bottom panel. Problem solved.

Be smart...be like Ultra Male [​IMG]

6. Wild Turkey

Reputations:
    LoL I know but on the GT75 don't the ram slots need to be split for Dual Channel?

500GB Samsung 860 EVO (3D VNAND TECH) M.2 SATA SSD - Installed by HIDevolution +$70.00
    Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe 3D-VNAND SSD - Up to 3,500 MB/s Read-2,500 MB/s Write - Installed by HIDevolution +$120.00
    $50 difference for something that will go in the same slot. I need to pay more attention to my selections.

7. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    not sure as I always order my laptops with all the RAM possible to not have to worry about this. I like all my slots to be filled [​IMG]

8. Wild Turkey

Reputations:
    ...:vbrolleyes:

The default 32GB is already Dual Channel so I am good there.

9. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hi,

Not sure exactly what displays you are looking at. The 3K display in the P870TM is very good as far as I know. Older panels might have had issues, but you will notice you can opt for the newer version B173QTN01.4 .Also, you can ask HIDEvolution beforehand what they would recommend. They would know better than me what is best and what issues there are with each p0anel.

Personally, I would go with 3K @ 144Hz. I have 3K @ 155Hz next to a 4K @ 60Hz. I prefer the 3K @ 155Hz. I also love the 4K, but the fluidity of high refresh rate / low response times makes even Windows more enjoyable. Plus, we are in 2018, FullHD is 2008. Many people complain about scaling, but scaling issues have not been an issue to me for a few months now, Microsoft has done a lot of work on improving scaling on high-res displays.

With that being said, I did a comparison here with noteb.com: Clevo P870TM vs MSI Gaming GT75 8RG Titan 4K.
    The GT75 wins slightly over the P870TM because it is significantly lighter and has better battery life, plus better build quality and a better keyboard.

But, I would definitely recommend the Clevo P870TM over the MSI. I have used my Clevo for 10 years now, and when it comes to reliability for gaming laptops, I think Clevo is among the best.
    Both laptops come with MXM video cards, but the Clevo P870TM also has a desktop processor, which you will likely be able to upgrade to a 9900K. Plus the Clevo can be upgraded to an SLI solution and the Clevo is also much easier to service. The MSI GT75 is more of a gaming laptop, the P870TM is more of a mobile desktop.

The P870TM with the thermal mod and Prema BIOS is undoubtedly the most powerful gaming machine money can buy.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  10. Wild Turkey

Reputations:
    I was looking at the 1440p variants on the Clevo and then just the 1080p on the MSI

I view them both as a "desktop variant" due to the size.
    Yeah I would get all that with the Clevo, my thing is I don't want to spend a month trying to get it working right. Benchmarks and epeen scores mean squat to me. If it runs my game, doesn't melt and doesn't require a degree in physics etc, its worth my money.