Stress test and performance check...?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by romanon5, Nov 17, 2019.

1. romanon5

romanon5 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello everyone! :)

Probably this week my new laptop (gigabyte aero 15) will be arriving. I want to know how to check it for its full performance (as it's very pricy and going to serve me for 5-7 years), and also that it's not defective, and I need your help.

What software/other should I use? I want to perform the most thorough check I can, and to make sure it performs typically for the model, also under continuous heavy loads, in all aspects.

(I am not looking to compare it to other models, but to make sure I don't need to return and replace it with an other unit of the same type.)

Thanks!!!

2. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    What are the specs? What workflow/workloads will you normally push through this system?

A 'maximum/thorough' torture test to see if it is of the caliber you require will most definitely shorten its life and not anything I recommend on a new system. ;)

Throw in the maximum capacity RAM (at the highest quality you can obtain) along with a fast and efficient SSD like the XPG SX8200 Pro PCI-E x4 NVMe M.2 SSD @ 2TB (no, smaller capacities need not apply) or better. Then, all the hardware will run at its potential and give you the productivity you desire over its lifecycle of up to 7yrs or more.

Tell us your use case and the specifics of how this platform is configured and we'll be able to answer more fully. ;)

romanon5 likes this.
  3. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I checked out the laptop, and it seems to have decent specs (but there are multiple versions of this laptop so you need to be more specific in regards to which specs you have)... however, if it comes with single-channel RAM, you should really upgrade this to dual-channel memory (and double your RAM capacity in the process) as it should improve gaming performance by a nice amount (unless it already comes with dual-channel).

That said, the thermals on this machine do not appear to be great.
    From what I read, repasting it apparently doesn't help too much (unless the cooling was revamped with revisions), but what would help is undervolting.
    So, I'd suggest you definitely undervolt the CPU when you get the machine.

Tiller does make some good points, but to be honest with you, you don't have to upgrade immediately to get full 7 years out of it.
    You can easily upgrade over time and in stages (as time and money allow).

Aside from that, testing the machine by putting it through its paces and gauge its performance might not be a terrible idea (there should be reviews of the machines online to give you a baseline for comparison - depending on the specs)... but there is little point in stress testing the thing to the max as that might not be a realistic scenario (unless you will be running productivity software which could use both the CPU and GPU at their max for prolonged periods of time - 3d Studio Max and Blender come to mind - although this mainly stresses the CPU or the GPU - depending on which render you use, but some programs could be using both).
    Otherwise, 3d Mark benchmark suites should suffice along with some CPU tests (to ensure the undervolt you use is stable over the long-term) to compare how your machine stacks up against identical ones which were tested online.

romanon5 and tilleroftheearth like this.
  4. romanon5

Reputations:
    Thank you @tilleroftheearth :) I guess I don't know what tests are available out there, I don't think I meant such tortures :)) Just to check the specific machine that I get. And I don't have big enough budget to max out the hardware, might get another SSD later on the way (and more RAM someday).

Thanks for the detailed comment @Deks! The one I got (15 XA) unfortunately has dual channel 16GB...I wanted it to have single channel so I could upgrade to 32GB with one stick, but now when the day comes I will have to buy two new sticks of 16GB for this (oh well...). I did hear about the thermal issues, hope that I will find a solution if there will be a problem. Thanks for all the advice! :) Will use it

Hey @Jarrod'sTech! Could you maybe tell me what software do you use for FPS and temperature tests?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    tilleroftheearth likes this.
  5. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    Main goal: are your workloads/workflows faster than what you replaced this with? Are you happy with the $$$ paid for this improvement and did you keep to your budget, as planned?

If both are 'yes', then you're already ahead. :D

Until you get that 32GB upgrade, be happy you have Dual Channel 16GB for now. Don't forget; you can also upgrade to a single 32GB stick too for 40GB RAM total (and you'd still be running 16GB of that in DC mode), for a future upgrade to 64GB RAM total. ;)

When you do upgrade your SSD, make sure you do a clean install of Win10, you will be glad you did.

And make sure to balance pure performance with battery life too. The Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 or 2 TB options are great, but the XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB model is no slouch while giving significantly better battery life. If the maximum battery life from your notebook is what you'll be needing at that time, the Intel 660p (and most likely the 665p in a few short months) gives a little less performance but the most battery life, ime.

romanon5 likes this.
  6. romanon5

Reputations:

Thank you very much! Never thought about battery life being impacted by other components aside the GPU and CPU :) Is this very significant?
    And about the RAM, will in the case you suggested 8GB from each stick be used as dual chanel for sure?

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  7. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    See:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/ram-16-gb-32-gb-or-more.830867/

Check out the thread above to see what kind of difference you can make to a more balanced system.

And yeah; 2x 8GB SODIMMs will make your RAM Dual Channel for sure on any current platform. :)

romanon5 likes this.
  8. romanon5

Reputations:
    Will read! Thanks again : ) )
    Oh and 8 + 32 will effectivly dual channel with 16 (and the rest single)?

9. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    Correct. :)

romanon5 likes this.
  10. romanon5

Reputations: