Strange PCH behaviour and PHC mod doesn't help

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Goblinrr, Dec 8, 2018 at 1:03 AM.

1. Goblinrr

Goblinrr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok so I've had trouble dealing with PCH overheating issue for 2 weeks. I bought this 7820hk + 1080 model 4 months ago. Changed the motherboard once cuz the GPU was malfunctioning. Had played with it for 2 months without issues.

But

Now PCH temp is insanely high - idle at 63c and goes up to 91c at which the CPU starts throttle to 800Mhz. This is AFTER I put an aluminum heatsink over the PCH, with kryonaut. Other components' temps are ok, I manaully set CPU running at stock speed (2.9 Ghz), no undervoting.

Another problem with the PCH is sometimes CPU throttles when PCH reaches 86c, sometimes 91.5c, sometimes 88c. What is this little bastard thinking?

I see some here got very decent PCH temps with mods on it, like below 75c or at most 80c, how did you guys manage to achieve that?

2. Goblinrr

Reputations:
  3. cruisin5268d

cruisin5268d Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That’s got to be a faulty sensor or a misreading for the SSD temp. Were you hitting the drive hard for benchmarks or something? Also what drive model and size is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @Goblinrr

Hi, I had over 90C on PCH during gaming without any PCH cooling, and also throttling. One way to try to fix this would be that you turn off BD Prochot in Throttlestop so too high PCH temperature 'should' not throttle CPU to 800 MHz.

I never tried putting heat-sink on PCH, only bridge-connected PCH to heat-pipes using PGS tape.

After I read the forum thread below, I realised that as there is no air flow inside the chassis, and heat from PCH must get out of chassis and the only viable way for me seemed PGS mod (graphene tape).

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ld-you-cool-your-pch-with-mods.805032/page-11

I have used Panasonic EYG-A121801V and did the mod + pictures. Check posts #6655 and #6656 below.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/official-alienware-13-r3-owners-lounge.797884/page-666

I have had this mod for a year and never seen PCH go max. 5 C above temperatures of my CPU or GPU, which are both max. at 70C now after applying Liquid Metal and re-pad with Gelid pads and undervolt.
    So basically now whatever I do my PCH does not break 75C and the heat gets out of the chassis.

Regarding your SSD, check post #6988 for a cheap and effective mod. where again, heat gets out of chassis through back plate. I never see over 50C on SSD.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...3-owners-lounge.797884/page-699#post-10691615

Goblinrr, Vasudev and propeldragon like this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Goblinrr likes this.
  6. Goblinrr

Reputations:
    It's a 256GB SK Hynix NVMe. I don't use any benchmark tools, I only test the system with games..

I agree with you, the SSD is probably faulty from my observation. I am thinking about how to convince dell to get it replaced after I fixed the PCH. :(

7. cruisin5268d

cruisin5268d Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just showing support team those temps should do the trick. M
    I Don’t believe the drive is technically faulty just the sensor. But might as well get it replaced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Goblinrr

Reputations:
    YES!!! When I did the PCH mod I alse questioned myself how to connect the PCH to the fan cooled heat pipes so it gets cooled like CPU and GPU. Never came up with an idea but yours seems good. I will definitely try it. Thanks!

c69k likes this.
  9. Goblinrr

Reputations:
    Did it just now. This happened:

(First run)
    -Started the benchmark when SSD is at 65c.
    -Temp climbs to 80 quickly
    -Displayed some results for I/O speed
    -Suddenly the program freezed, mouse icon turned to blue circle when hovering over it, no more results
    -SSD temp dropped to -273c, abs zero
    -can't launch any programs, including snipping tool, so I took a pic with my phone
    -windows crashed

I think at least it's good that the PCH temp is stable. :)

PIC: [​IMG] https://drive.google.com/open?id=1O77y-q8y9CavfkAN0EorFgGCF2ifankZ

Papusan likes this.
  10. Goblinrr

Reputations:
    Please take a look at post #9, it happend to me once before. I should call the support team on Monday....