1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Stop battery from charging

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by rk222, Nov 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rk222

rk222 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is there a way I can stop my notebook battery from charging; I use my notebook more as a tabletop and it's always on AC power. I would run my notebook without the battery, but I the footrest and I don't want the connectors to get dirty. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

2. nickspohn

nickspohn iPhone NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Can you just simply unplug the computer? And set the end of the cord on the desk?

3. Slappy

Slappy Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    You the footrest?

Where is the battery on your machine? If it pops out the bottom, I don't have any ideas, but if it is like my old Dell or a bunch of the Asus notebooks, sliding out of the front or back, you can just disconnect it and leave it sitting in the slot.

4. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Well...there is always some current of power going into the battery if it is connected to the notebook and you are on AC power. Yes - if you take it out, you can just put something over the connectors...a piece of duct tape perhaps (just make sure it doesn't stick to the connectors).

5. Wiz33

Wiz33 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    All modern laptop will stop charging the battery when it's full and leaving it in the laptop is not really going to affect the longevity. Modern Li-Ion just have about a 3-4 year shelf life weither you use it or not.