Still frustrated looking for a new phone

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by rlk, Apr 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm still finding looking for a phone to be an exercise in frustration.

The trend is toward thin, narrow (but tall) phones, with funky camera/fingerprint setups that make it hard to build a sturdy case for. But that's the exact opposite of what I want; I'd like a beefy, rugged phone with lots of screen real estate and an Otterbox Defender type case. It doesn't even need a fingerprint (or face) sensor; I plan to continue to use a password to unlock it. Replaceable battery would be a big plus, since I want to keep it 5 years. I'm currently on Sprint but would be more than happy to change. It doesn't need to fit in a pocket; I will put it in a belt holster. My current phone is a Samsung Galaxy Note 2, not a bad phone but Android 4.4 is a bit dated. Even if Samsung gets it right, I don't want a folder; I'm entirely too rough on my gear.

One of the very few phones that appears to come anywhere close to what I want size-wise is the Huawei Mate 20X. Its aspect ratio isn't completely absurd, and its '7.2"' screen works out to decently over 3" wide. But that's very problematic for the US.

Ideal, if it exists, might be a 7" tablet with voice and SMS capability -- in other words, can be used as a phone without needing data. They usually have bigger batteries than conventional phones/phablets too. But there doesn't seem to be such. Are there really no other people out there who really want a big phone?

Am I completely chasing a unicorn, or is there, somewhere out in the wilds of phonedom, such a device?

hmscott likes this.
  2. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    7" for some reason seems to be a dead zone in tablets and phablets.

hmscott likes this.
  3. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The problem is that 7" does not mean much of anything any more.

When everything had the same aspect ratio -- usually 4:3 in the CRT days, although 5:4 in the case of 1280x1024 -- the diagonal measurement was meaningful. It's useful for TVs, which these days are universally 16:9, and it was useful for phones when they were basically all the same aspect ratio. But now the phones are becoming very tall and narrow, such that the diagonal measurement tells nothing useful about the width or surface area.

6.4" sounds a lot bigger than 5.5", right? My Galaxy Note 2 is 5.5" diagonal with 16:10 aspect ratio, which works out to 2.7x4.8". The Galaxy Note 9 is 6.4", but the aspect ratio is 18.5:9 (aka 37:18), which is 2.8x5.75". That's certainly a lot longer, but barely any wider (about 4%). The Mate 20X is 3.15" wide, significantly (but not overwhelmingly) wider at 3.15", about 17" wider. A hypothetical 16:10 phone with 7.2" diagonal would be 3.8" wide -- which really is usefully wider -- and even at 16:9 it would be 3.5" wide.

4. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Just buy the mate 20x that works with your network. Huawei is no worse than any other company. Only the orange twit and his minions would make you believe that. The 20x is a great phone.

cucubits likes this.
  5. krabman

krabman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I feel ya on the tall thing, hate the trend and hope it ends soon. much less usable screen that way and you still gotta two hand it if you're doing much of anything. But they get to post a bigger number for a screen that feels and works smaller in use, good enough to fool the same people who giving rich people massive tax breaks will somehow make their own lives better.

rlk likes this.
  6. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Given that Huawei has now lost access to any Android updates and all -- the politics of the issue not withstanding -- it's certainly for the best (for me, at any rate) that I didn't pull the trigger on it. Eventually I'm going to have to fish or cut bait, obviously.

Meanwhile, I sure wish somebody would cater to even the small market segment that doesn't care about cool and sleek, just wants functional and robust. Which to me, at any rate, means a very big phone in an Otterbox Defender type case.

hmscott likes this.
  7. Convel

Convel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The Xiaomi Mi Max 3 has a 18:9, 6.9" display and a 5500 mAh battery. I wouldn't call it rugged though, and I'm not sure how easy it is to find a rugged case for it either. You may also find the list of supported cellular bands problematic for your area.

Starlight5 and hmscott like this.
  8. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It looks potentially interesting. Keep in mind that I'm in the US, where there tends to be less flexibility with phones than in, say, the EU.

I'd really like a phone with no biometric sensor at all, but I suppose these days I'm really tilting at windmills. For me it's just a waste since I'm not going to use it (I'm going to use a good, old-fashioned password, one reason I want a wide screen so a keyboard is easier to use).

hmscott likes this.
  9. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    That and without a warrant they can't ask for a password but they can have you apply your hand for some reason, unless that changed last time I read into that stuff.

hmscott likes this.
  10. krabman

krabman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You set a password to use and then the fingerprint. If the Gestapo is knocking at the door turn the phone off; they can not then get in it without a court order because it wont start up without the password. The reason for that is you cannot be compelled to give up your password but those privacy laws were written long ago and don't apply to bio-metrics

hmscott likes this.