Still deciding on Laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by bobapjok, Nov 30, 2020.

1. bobapjok

bobapjok Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i still am looking at some laptops. I am now leaning toward at the HP ENVY x360 Convertible Laptop - 15z-ds100. (with coupon code it will be $647)

i have a couple questions if anyone can help. 1st i dont really understand the difference between the convertible and the regular laptop. I also have some configuring to choose from. as a reminder, i mainly use my laptop for running emulators, streaming and casting to my tv, some video converting. usually hold onto my laptops for many years. i like to be able to convert videos and stuff while running in the background as well.

is an upgrade from AMD Ryzen™ 5 4500U (2.375 GHz, up to 4.0 GHz, 3 MB L2 cache, 6 cores) + AMD Radeon™ Graphics to the AMD Ryzen™ 7 4700U (2.0 GHz, up to 4.2 GHz, 4 MB L2 cache, 8 cores) + AMD Radeon™ Graphics worth $110. (i chose the update from 8gb ram to 16gb for $40)

then which would be better. Realtek Wi-Fi 5 (2x2) and Bluetooth® 5 Combo (MU-MIMO supported) or Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX 200 (2x2) and Bluetooth® 5 combo (Supporting Gigabit file transfer speeds) for an additional $10.

the current configuration is ($709)
    • Windows 10 Home 64
    • AMD Ryzen™ 5 4500U (2.375 GHz, up to 4.0 GHz, 3 MB L2 cache, 6 cores) + AMD Radeon™ Graphics
    • 16 GB DDR4-3200 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB)
    • 15.6" diagonal FHD, IPS, micro-edge, WLED-backlit, multitouch-enabled, edge-to-edge glass, 250 nits (1920 x 1080)
    • 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
    • Office Software Trial
    • Security Software Trial
    • 4-cell, 55.67 Wh Lithium-ion prismatic Battery
    • No DVD or CD Drive
    • Full-size backlit island-style keyboard with integrated numeric keypad
    • HP Wide Vision HD Camera with Dual array digital microphone (Nightfall Black)(Touchscreen)
    • Realtek Wi-Fi 5 (2x2) and Bluetooth® 5 Combo (MU-MIMO supported)
    • HP Pen (dark ash silver)
    • HP ENVY x360 15 Convertible PC

2. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    A convertible notebook typically has a touch screen that folds all the way around to convert it into a tablet, hence convertible. The question to me would be do you want a touch screen? Some people really like them, but they can produce glare due to the glass used for the touch surface. The Ryzen 7 is a bit faster, but only if you're pushing the CPU. You may want to consider the FAQ stuck at the top of this forum and post back. That would help us flesh things out.

Rokobo likes this.
  3. M17XR42012

M17XR42012 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For video converting a faster CPU is generally speaking better (or faster) so it will take less time to convert video. Generally speaking if you want to fun multiple applications at one time having some in the background then, additional cores will help. I am not as familiar with AMD CPU's but the Ryzen 7 if it is affordable in that same laptop would give you some more power if you are converting videos in the background. More ram would help also if you are doing a lot of converting.