Stepping away from Clevo...options are tough.

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Kittys, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Kittys

Kittys Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I decided to step away from Clevo until the P775 refresh comes out to see whats going on and just push my current configuration to its limits. I had an order for a 9700K/2080 Pinkified P775 via XoticPC but delays just mounted with no end in sight (well, no proper eta after 34 days with it still being in phase 2) killing my excitement for another big bertha and the seeds of doubt got planted, I already have one laptop 1/10th my weight why do I need two?. I do want to make the laptop pink still though..

Use cases: audio production, gaming
    Pet peeves: bad trackpads, bezels the size of texas, need for a commercial pilots license when firing up games, alienware.
    List of wants: Under 6lbs, thunderbolt 3, Type C-PD (for planes and stuff), good trackpad, keyboard thats good for typing, oled or a panel with extremely good coverage. 8+ hours of battery (advertised is fine)
    List of requirements: 2 m.2 slots, 5+ hours of battery off the wall, 2080-Q or 2080, 9750H minimum, 32GB ram minimum, sold by XoticPC.
    Total cost limitation: $4,000
    Current laptops in direct sights: GX701GX, Aero 15 OLED (9980HK or 9750H variant).

Ive never owned ASUS laptops since the 9800M GTX mobile and I know Gigabyte is kind of still ironing out kinks (like why two heatpipes?!) so even between two I dont know which to choose, and honestly I know there are other laptops out there that may fit the bill so I come to you guys! the Aero cannot be painted pink sadly though...unless Xotic wants to try on mine lol I have that and an etch I had commissioned for first laptop that still needs to be put to use. :)

What do?
    ~Kittys

2. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    If you can live with the 2070 Max-Q there is the MSI P65 Creator with 4k panel available. Do you need a number pad for the keyboard?

Review at notebookcheck.

3. Kittys

Kittys Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That P65 sure is a pretty beast. I do not need a number pad, though it would be great for macros! I do lug around my stream deck for that so its no biggie.

4. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
  5. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    What's the issue with your current P775? Portability/battery? A mobile 8 core is a sidegrade to 8086K and the 9750h will be slower. Ditto 2070MQ vs 1070. Everything will underclock when on battery anyway.

The P775 battery is removable - you could just buy a 2nd and hibernate+swap - that should get you 5 hours of non-GPU usage.

lol