Step by Step: 980m Install in Alienware 18

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by 1Schumsta1, Jan 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    970M will work 75W heatsink... 100W heatsink is just for better cooling but 75W will work too..

dimobr and reborn2003 like this.
  2. m-virus

m-virus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    www.eurocom.com/ec/vgas(1)ec

In this link alienware 18 970m upgrade kit there is heatsink 100 w with the kit , can I use this heatsink for future upgrade or with 980m ???

3. Cloudfire

Cloudfire (Really odd person)

Reputations:
    Kade Storm and reborn2003 like this.
  4. m-virus

m-virus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for this warning , So there is no way to upgrade from 860m to a more powerful one !!!

5. Kade Storm

Kade Storm The Devil's Advocate

Reputations:
    Not really. If you read Cloudfire's thread, he's done the work and the upgrade is possible. It's the lack of support and the added work on getting the fans to run through HWInfo64--in a less than perfect manner--that's a serious trade off. Either keep the fans running full blast during gaming, or stick with cards that are officially supported by the system BIOS.

Cloudfire likes this.
  6. Scanner

Scanner Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Arrrrgh, I think I maybe tired but I think I'm going to scream with people *****ing about the 98os and the fans. No, the fans don't run correctly when 980s are put in. Can it be corrected--YES, is it perfect NO. HWinfo64 is not perfect, but it gets the fans moving. Some people complain the fans are to loud-WTF is it being used in the library!?! Jeez, the only real problem I see is if your an over clocker and the throttling issue that is in most threads. Otherwise, it works and furthermore, when I first got my aw 18 people were complaining about Dells fan tables, and how the fans didn't kick in fast enough-hence HWinfo64 was being used.

7. Kade Storm

Kade Storm The Devil's Advocate

Reputations:
    As far as I'm concerned, as a matter of personal preference, the fans aren't an issue. I actually prefer running them at maximum in general, but this isn't a preference shared by many others.

8. Cloudfire

Cloudfire (Really odd person)

Reputations:
    Every man to himself, but when the fans with HWinfo becomes so loud you have troble hearing the speakers, its a no go for me

9. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    I'm another ones of those max fans guys (well my fans are almost close to max when gaming).. The only way you can deal with this is with headset and audio through speakers is just not possible.. It's not an issue for me because no one in my house wants to hear my games so I have to use headsets and I want to do so too.. Cloud, your'e being fussy :p

Cloudfire likes this.
  10. Ramzay

Ramzay Notebook Connoisseur

Reputations:
    I would assume an AW18 that came with SLI GTX 770M would be using two 70W heatsinks?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.