SteamVR HTC Vive & Laptop VR performance

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Brent R., Mar 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ldkv

ldkv Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I tested on my laptop with a single 980M and got a Capable (near Ready) result, so yeah OP's test did run on SLI. However I think it depends more on the VR devs to write SLI supported applications. Also I read somewhere that laptops (especially the ones with Optimus enabled) are not fully compatible with VR devices atm, so I will refrain from spending a big sum on the Oculus/Vive for now. Maybe I will make the jump next year when we have more reviews, more apps and new GPU technology.

2. Brent R.

Brent R. Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes I am thankful that Nvidia really seems to be pushing SLI for VR at least with Vive and with SLI in my laptop that means NO optimus, so I am excited for VR if I can ever afford it :( its so expensive but I do think for the tech and what the Vive can do, that it is worth it.

3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Ah they must have added SLI in as default, about a week ago you had to enter in a manual command to force it.

4. XMG

XMG Company Representative

Reputations:
    Game developers are told by SDK guidelines that they have to support rendering in 90fps, otherwise the experience will be unpleasant. Small performance dips can be compensated with Asynchronous Timewarp to some extent, but 30fps VR is absolutely out of the question.

Virtual Reality and Motion Controls demand a completely new way of making games. You won't see many "old" games that are just "converted" to VR. Especially many console game developers will need to ditch their old fps-locked engines and start from scratch.

The good news is: Playstation VR runs at 90Hz as well, so ports from PSVR to Rift and Vive should be feasible.

If you want to learn about rendering optimizations specifically done for stereoscopic VR, this talk is highly recommended:

This is true. SLI on VR is not trivial. The approach to use "one GPU per eye" might be obvious, but this might throw out a lot of stereoscopic optimizations which are outlined in the talk above out of the window. We've yet to hear a final word from Oculus, HTC and NVIDIA however. For this and other reasons we recommend a single GTX 980 (without "M") if you want to get the most reliable and best VR experience on a laptop.

Laptops with Optimus are not supported indeed. As long as you can't disable Optimus, you won't get VR running with current SDK's. Disabling Optimus is a hardware feature which is limited to only a small fraction of the market. Our XMG PRO series can disable Optimus. Our XMG ULTIMATE series does not even have Optimus at all.

Apart from Optimus, the only thing standing between VR and your laptop is GPU performance. The GTX 980M is slightly below the recommended desktop GTX 970. That's why you will need a laptop GTX 980 (without "M") to be supported officially.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    Mr. Fox, ssj92 and ldkv like this.
  5. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Yes, not "cinematic" frame rates with VR, also as XMG are pointing out you will only see the 980 machines being advertised for VR but electrically the biggest requirement is that direct connection to the dGPU.

6. Brent R.

Reputations:
    Yah, well I am thinking my laptop will do okay for the Vive but, really I don't have to worry about that at least for a while. I want to see how it does after it is released AND I will have to be saving up some money for a while....BUT there are some videos of people testing the Vive that look really fun really really fun!

7. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    I can't wait until they do a good mech type game for something like the rift :)

8. Brent R.

Reputations:
    sorry for bringing my old thread out but I didn't want to make a new one, and I have some questions......WELL has anyone used VR with this laptop? (p377sm-a)(np9377sm-a)? I am saving my pennies up right now to buy one but I wish I could find at least a few people with simlar specs to me (in sig) who have tried the HTC Vive or Oculus Rift? before I drop $800 doesnt have to be the same system as me but at least something with similar specs....Thanks

9. Support.1@XOTIC PC

Support.1@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Hopefully someone might have tried it themselves since then, I don't think there is really an issue with pulling up an old thread.

Have you tried checking if there is someone near you that might have one, or a store that might have a demo unit. I think some Best Buy's are going to be doing VR demo's in store. Maybe that is something worth looking in to and find out if you might be able to bring the laptop in and plug it in?

10. Brent R.

Reputations:
    well the only place in my area would be bestbuy and they don't have anything with VR....at least yet...hopping someone on here will have tested it soon with a laptop similar to mine... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.