Stay away from Alienware - Previous owner

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by Indep102, Aug 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indep102

Indep102 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey guys

I have owned 5 Alienware laptops between my wife and myself.

Only one or two gave me technical issues but the real issue i have found and continue to find is Dell's overwhelming lack of care and support given to customers. I have spent no less than 12k with them in the last 6 or so years and that doesnt seem to matter (not that it should if they treated us like they cared) But the final straw for me has been selling my previous M18x R2.

I just sold it and formatted the SDD on it for the new buyer. Being nice i installed windows 10 on it (i didnt want to give him 7 and have him need to look for a key) only to find that Dell/AW completely does not support windows 10 on any laptops that came from the factory with an older OS. So none of the drivers on their site are for windows 10. Their response? We cant help you, good luck!

So after crawling around the net looking for driver solutions i finally found some.

But after this, my new pascal laptop will be from MSI. I was waiting on AW's pascal lineup but now I am done with AW. If i can buy a machine and in 2 short years have all support completely cut off EVEN DRIVER SUPPORT i am finished.

There have been many other incidents with them too, this was just the latest. As a word of advice, AW is no longer the pinnacle of gaming laptops (im not sure that anyone is right now) but you can save a bundle of money and get machines that are just as good if not better from companies that would love to have your business and treat you that way.

Just a word of warning for anyone thinking of an AW.

Sorry for the rant.

2. yotano21

yotano21 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I used to own a m18x r2, I loved that thing with the 3 hard drives, I was able to install 3 2tb HDs and put all of my movies on it, OS on the msata SSD. After it failed for the last time I went back to Sager with the p370sm3 model. I am happier that with one.

3. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    You should have installed windows 7 and have upgraded it to free windows 10 while you had the chance. AW will not help with OS not associated other than what came with the laptop. Any other OS would be the end user to upgrade themselves and locate drivers.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    katalin_2003 likes this.
  4. Indep102

Reputations:

I dont think you read the entire post... I upgraded to windows 10 for my buyer (who bought the laptop) and any computer company refusing to update hardware drivers or even help owners locate drivers for a new OS after only 3 years doesnt deserve my business or yours. They arent even offering community based forum support for it, meaning they havent even taken the time of day to write a blog post with how to handle it. Its quite simply, your on your own.

5. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    Yes , simply is because they cannot be under any obligation to be tech support for an os that the laptop does not support, even though it can run windows 10. They don't want to be tied to it.

6. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Want a story that's even worse? Alienware reintroduced the AW18 this time last year, and sold them up until January 2016. I received my unit in December 2015, supposedly new from the factory. 8 months into ownership and it has an issue...guess what. They're out of parts. For a machine that is not even a year old, to be out of parts? What a joke. They can't even service their own computers properly anymore, not the mention the removal of next day service. I've been waiting on my Alienware 18 to come back for a month.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  7. Indep102

Reputations:
    Every other manufacture does this, and they choose not to, their new comps come with win10 and all of the hardware in the m18x supports win10 but dell doesnt want to bother with it.... Lenovo even rewrote some of their drivers themselves for win10... You can believe what you want but i work to hard for my money to give it to them.

Also, no one is asking for tech support for windows, only updated drivers for computers we spent thousands on.

Not surprised man, sorry for your issues. I bought my first AW in 2008 and it is night and day difference from today. They are a poor shadow of what they used to be.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    Mr. Fox likes this.
  8. danger007

danger007 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I wish AW would be dispossessed (sorry had to use that word after watching the Rio 2016 Soccer matches) by another company or smart investor who knows what AW use to stand for and why they were in the business a long time. From what I have heard I lucked out by buying the AW M17x R4 when I did. It sounds like the designs sort of went south and not just for the winter.

As I mentioned, Dell needs to come here and research, How should customer service be done, the correct way!

Also they need to clearly define, what is the purpose behind publishing tech help documents if they don't want you to use them (or publishing useful ones). I have said my peace about AW and Dell many times in this forum and others regarding their tech support in relation to my laptop. Thank goodness NBR provides out-of-warranty service ;).

What is ironic about no Win 10 support is that when you look at many of the models, I would think drivers wouldn't be that burdensome. Sure those that came Win 7 are older now. However you want to impress customers, you try to find a way to get updated drivers. It isn't like they use off brand no-name parts. Of course the testing is the issue. They derive no value from supporting a laptop from more than maybe a year ago. Once again they should decide what would be best for their image and to convince customers to remain loyal or be return/repeat customers with their service and support policies.

The first problem for any tech support with Dell and many companies is the fact that it is simply too expensive to have a domestic customer service (In this I am referring to the US, no selfish nature intended, just easy to reference). They had a show on PBS or some channel where they showed just how these overseas tech support companies work. Everything from teaching them to pick a non-foreign sounding name, to actually reading scripts and how they might have 1 or 2 supervisors who were brought over to oversee it. Huge campuses and buildings. The pay, lets just say, is no where near the Federal Min. Wage in the US.

Another great example, Comcast/Xfinity. What I sure wish is that our government had not granted special monopolies (remembering my Econ classes in College, I think Natural Monopolies is the proper term) to the cable companies. Of course the problem is that it isn't practical, feasible or safe to have 20 different companies and 20 different set of cable lines strung up on poles or underground (of course in the US we wait till things break for 60, 70, 80 plus years ago to fix, instead of being pro-active. After all I thought the price we pay to Utilities is suppose to maintain and keep the network, pipes, sewers, cables, gas lines, etc serviced and replaced ahead of failure. However every time, they say we want to help provide better and safer service (meaning we haven't serviced anything until it breaks - so will you believe that we will do it this time) they then add, oh we need to increase your cost of services (yet in many of these Util Companies they have actually laid off) but I digress. Xfinity I have learned now to "ask" which call center I am talking to. If it is outside the US, I just hang up. I have notice anything outside the US for Xfinity they give them very little or no wiggle room to actual work with a customer, sort of like a Dell Script but for Broadband/Cable TV/VOIP. Heck the other day trying to get the new forced upon X-1 service, I had a person who didn't know you run HDMI through 5.1/7.1 Receivers to get the high quality sound that is suppose to come from HD programming, she never heard of that ever being done (oh well so much for solving the tech problem that night).

So this is a problem that I wish some company in various industries would step up and set an example. Except now companies are so worried about trying to get into new markets, they forget the markets that made them and allowed them to be in a position to expand.

I read an article in PCGamer about indie companies and an issue with EU regulations where companies (I think even if sold outside the EU) get hit with such high VAT that they instead give their games away for free and ask for donations (aka pay for product with another term to avoid the taxes and/or paperwork).

I am ashamed to say this, but with Dell initially being a US based company (meaning it got its start here) it doesn't provide nearly-good quality service to other markets. I am sure many markets have very talented people, who can provide the kind of tech support that is lacking already in local and foreign markets.

I recently talked to someone from France who can't get Dell to provide hardly any support even with a warranty. Hearing about what was said above about how they re-released a model and not even a year in, they are out of parts. Perhaps they should take a clue from the military and create Dell Boneyards where whatever wasn't used at least isn't written off on the books and tossed to some recycler but sorted and stored in a large warehouse in the middle of no where so the land is cheap (promise jobs to get a tax break from the local city). Or if they won't do it themselves, legislate a requirement to have ample parts on hand for repair/replacement for the expected duration of the longest service/warranty contract.

Okay my eyes are popping out of my head as I should have called it a night long ago, but I had to add my 50 cents (long post and probably babbling) about how sad things are. Especially comparing notebooks/laptops to desktops. There is a website that I visit just to see how difficult it is to repair other electronics/tech gear (think it is Ifixit.com - they post a tear down repairability score of a product each month in Maximum PC) and it really is interesting. They actually tore apart a Dell 13" tablet/laptop a year ago and they said that it was actually easier to repair than a like product from Apple. So why they don't pursue the same course with all their products, they wouldn't have these issues. Apple should as well, but then it wouldn't be Apple. However I have to say I have an Apple IIe I once in a blue moon pull out of the closet to play some ancient game for nostalgia and it still works.

Anyhow, I am sorry to hear about the problems. Now only if we can get someone from Dell and Alienware to actually come and represent the company here on these forums again (sure they are going to catch not just a great amount of heat but sun scorching heat, yet that would be a first step to once again earn our brand loyalty and not shift it all to alienware arena).

9. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    How hard could it be to just download the latest drivers from the manufacturers itself instead to rely on the Dell website.

All video drivers, mainboard drivers, soundcard drivers are readily available for example. I didnt experience any problem while going from Windows 8 to 10 on my previous Alienware laptop for exaple.

Also I havent had any issues with customer support apart from crappy technicians (which in return was fixed by offering me a new laptop because of a btoched repair job) in the Netherlands as well.

People here seem to think that for buying a product, they deserve 4 years of perfect support as well.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    Caladdon likes this.
  10. Indep102

Reputations:

Drivers are not always readily available and if it's so easy why wouldn't dell provide them?

As I said. If some people are fans of AW more power to you but if you are trying to convince us they are an example of a good company it won't happen.

I was a huge AW fan boy 4 years ago and since then it's been a steady stream of disappointment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.