Start high-end or leave room for future upgrades?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by hendenburg2, Apr 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hendenburg2

hendenburg2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I'm almost done configuring a P775DM3-G from HIDEvolution, but I just am looking for one last bit of advice:

Should I start with mid-range parts (say, 16 GB of RAM instead of 32, smaller m.2 SSD, GTX1060 instead of 1070 or 1080, etc) and add upgrades later on, OR...Bite the bullet and pay much more now, which would save on P&L later on down the road.

Argument for mid-range & upgrade: My system build is already around $2700. I have plenty of experience upgrading certain parts and components of laptops, so new RAM and drives aren't a problem. Also, if I decide I want 4K gaming, I can just get a monitor for less than the upgrade cost of a 4K laptop screen. Finally, I'd rather not pay for upgrades with diminishing returns.

Argument for high end: upgrading components myself could void the warranty, and getting better components later could cost extra because of parts & labor.

Any thoughts?

2. stefan063

stefan063 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well If I was at you place I would rather wait few more months (2-3 depending on your income) and buy FULL SPEC then upgrade latter. MXM cards are too expensive as example latter.

3. hendenburg2

hendenburg2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks, I'll definitely try to aim for that, but my current laptop's screen is going downhill fast and the estimate for a new screen & cables is ~$400. Rather put that into a new system than keep the old one going, so I'll hang on as long as I can.

4. Paull

Paull Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Cheap out on everything but GPU and CPU would be my advice, storage and RAM are easily and cheaply upgraded

5. Stooj

Stooj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Personally I would absolutely prioritise GPU first and go as high as you can.

With the current situation surrounding MXM (form factor all over the place) as well as G-Sync locking, you may have significant problems down the line sourcing an upgrade card. They tend to be hugely expensive as well. Furthermore, even if you do upgrade later, you'll end up with a left-over MXM card which won't be all that useful (unlike a normal PCIE GPU which is easily re-used/re-sold etc).

CPU on the other hand is fairly generic and you should be able to run any Skylake or Kabylake chip in it which gives you significant options down the line. Storage and RAM are the same and I don't forsee any major changes to those in the near future.

6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The GPU is the main part, everything else is pretty easy :)

7. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    Upgrading yourself might save you some money - how much depends on the reseller's cost - but it might result in tech support being limited in troubleshooting. Adding your own drives & RAM is unlikely to void your warranty, but do check with your seller first (it may, at least, risk it).

8. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    Always max out the GPU.. The rest can be bought later...

9. Thousandmagister

Thousandmagister Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Or just buy a notebook that has USB type C - Thunderbolt 3 support . Full fat desktop graphic card is always cheaper than MXM card (2 or 3x cheaper) and easier to upgrade (Plug and play)
    There are tons of external GPU solution , Razer Core is one of them but it's overpriced
    If you don't mind removing the wifi card then EXP GDC Beast is the cheapest route ($50) , it doesn't require USB type C - Thunderbolt 3
    Edit : There are some laptops that have USB type C but no support for Thunderbolt 3 . Make sure you double check that

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  10. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Even in the short term the GPU gives the best performance difference in games too :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.