Starcraft II Tips

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Duster73, Jul 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Random1337

Random1337 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  2. Histidine

Histidine Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You can't go wrong with tons of M&Ms for terran. Easy to pump out tons of them, and then you get stim and throw in a couple medivacs or tanks for good measure.

But a fun way to do 2v2 is for one person to build a big bulky army and the other to have a more mobile force. Marines with stim, banshees, hellions, and maybe a few vikings, then find the back routes to the enemy's lines and harass their economy. Just be sure you don't suicide these harass groups, and be sure when a big battle comes you can throw in enough of your own guys to make a difference.

Or you could just build a big handful of tanks and provide sieged support for his stalkers. I could see some good use of force field from sentries to prevent someone from retreating from tanks (or prevent them from advancing on un-sieged tanks!).

2v2 opens up a lot of room for some cool strategies if you can work well with your partner. Particularly fun when you play with the same teammate consistently. I just think it's too bad that the 2v2 maps always have easily protected expansions, so territory control becomes a lot less important than in 1v1.

3. Baka

Baka (・ω・)

Reputations:
  4. cha

cha Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wow, can finally play with people from NBR soon.

Less Terran Reizo?

5. Baka

Baka (・ω・)

Reputations:
    Lots of terran nerf it seems. I do hope that not all the changes they have :p

6. farful

farful Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I actually enjoy an army of phoenixes. The fact that you can lift most units in the game make the quite deadly imo. Lift the one or two siege tanks he has, and the battle just got way easier! :) Of course there are times I cried where I really wanted to lift that thor or ultralisk :(

I also find them important for air superiority if you have a colossus or two.

But yeah, stalkers are probably better in general despite my love for phoenixes :p

7. farful

farful Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'd say the majority of my games are 10 mins-ish... like 7-15mins. Usually ends with the first real big battle.

I find it nearly impossible to keep production going constantly in 1 robo bay.. things are just too expensive, esp. if you're keeping up with all your gateways.

8. battlecat

battlecat Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks farful, I feel the same way so far about robo bays.

I've been trying my hand at Zerg and so far I like it!

1. I've heard people say it's very macro oriented... is that true? Am I just supposed to make lots of units?

2. If you guys are rushing with Zerg, how do you usually transition out of it if they survive?

3. Is there a hotkey for the Queen, or do I just need to assign it to a control group?

4. Does researching Zergling speed also increase baneling speed? On average, how many banelings do you use to bust a single terran player and what kind of forces do you bring behind them?

I'm not at home right now but I heard the new patch is coming out today... wonder if there's an official changelog yet.

Sorry for so many questions!

9. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Master Viking NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    1.) I think zerg requires more micro not macro due to the queens and spawn larva and stuff. Though I guess you can say its macro oriented but then again all races are.

2.) Start to tech up, depending on what the enemy is doing and how much damage your rush did. If you need imediate forces to fend a push roaches are good, if you have time to macro up I would go for hydra or muta.

3.) Needs to be set to a control group

4.) No bainling speed is a separate upgrade in the bainlings nest. Its a very situational upgrade I think, while zergling speed is the core of many zerg builds. Experiment with bainling mines (burrowed bainlings) and bainling drops (drop from overlords) as well. Both can be very damaging.

10. Histidine

Histidine Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think people say that just because it's so much harder to macro as zerg. You have to work twice as hard to get the same level of production as either P or T. You can't just let larvae spawn as they will, you have to build and micromanage queens and/or multiple hatcheries.

There's also an incredibly difficult production balance you have to shoot for - queens and hatcheries cost lots of minerals, and you can only produce so many drones without completely sacrificing your defense; on the other hand, making units means you can't make drones, and making either drones or units means you can't increase your supply. Imagine if you had to build an SCV every time you wanted a new supply depot!

EXPAND EXPAND friggin' EXPAND!

If you're keeping up the pressure, you need to take advantage of that by increasing your economy and production. An expansion does both, and for zerg, expansions are slightly cheaper, and easier to defend due to creep.

On the other hand, if you mean you do something crazy like 6-pool, then good luck! A roach warren will help you survive longer, but roaches are often more of a defensive unit before mid-game, because they're slow without the speed upgrade and off of creep. Also, speedlings are never a bad idea (will they get crushed by his army in an instant? Sneak them behind his army and harass his worker lines! Counterattack is the name of the game in many zerg games).

Sorry, but I hate questions like this. There is no one cookie-cutter Terran army - he will have different unit compositions throughout an entire game, and you need to adjust accordingly. You also need to adjust according to how aggressive or defensive he is, how many expansions he has, how much map control he has, what his army position and mobility is, how much harassing you're doing, and what strategies the map favors. Most of the time, you will not want to face his big scary terran ball head-on!

However, if you're using banelings to bust an M&M ball, tell your banelings to "move" to a point on the other side of the marines. When they're shot to death, they explode and kill nearby marines. This will make your banelings more efficient, and they'll catch a few extra bullets for the rest of your troops.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.