Starcraft II Tips

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Duster73, Jul 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duster73

Duster73 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This can be a thread dedicated to 90% of the noobs on starcraft, for online and campaign tips.

On muiltiplayer, what buildings/upgrades to you get first?
    Do you instantly go build another command center on another patch of resources?

2. osomphane

osomphane Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Everyone is rushing, so be prepared for that...

3. Pitabred

Pitabred Linux geek con rat flail!

Reputations:
    Biggest tip: learn the keyboard shortcuts, and don't run low on supply structures or resource gatherers. Those three things will make you 50% better overnight ;)

4. rschauby

rschauby Superfluously Redundant

Reputations:
    Only played, and lost, 3 matches last night. It's nice how you get to see a very in depth data output and graphing of you and your opponent(s) activities. One thing I noticed on all 3 of my losses was my opponent gathered significantly more resources, and also never had idle unspent resources (I don't remember sitting around and picking my nose but all the data points towards it). Honestly, I don't have the multitasking skills at this point in time to be able to manage that many things. Also, every time my opponent was building higher tiered structures/units before I even thought humanly possible.

Game starts, 3 seconds later: "Nuclear Launch Detected" followed by a massive wave of full upgraded Battleships and Thors.

This pretty much sums up how my games went.

5. Random1337

Random1337 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    1. Constantly build workers.

2. Use hotkeys and shortcuts, usually I have 1 - 4 as army, 5 as CC/Nexus/Hatch, and 6 - 9 as production buildings.

3. Keep money low, I always aim for less than 500 minerals and gas at all times.

4. Learn good build orders.

5. Don't bother with micro until you master macro.

Got to Diamond on beta just by following those 5 steps.

6. EELMAN

EELMAN Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You can group all your production buildings into one hotkey and just tab between the different types of production buildings.

The same can go for your army but it is more useful to have different types of units grouped up with different hotkeys if they need to be moved separately.

7. peli_kan

peli_kan Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ^This. Solid rules of thumb.

Random1337, do you frequent teamliquid.net? You clearly know what you're doing. I'm a low diamond myself, and nothing special.

8. rschauby

rschauby Superfluously Redundant

Reputations:
    Can someone explain or link all the shortcuts to assigning units/structure to different keys?

9. naticus

naticus Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The problem with Starcraft, and one of my clanmates attests and utilizes this as well is the many,many macro binds.

Basically he macro binds 100's of binds to do things much, much faster than most people dream about. THIS is a huge issue with the first game.

Make no mistake this game is uber-competitive.

10. EELMAN

EELMAN Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Not much to it. Select whatever units/buildings you want and hit CTRL + any number 1-9. After that every time you hit that number on your keyboard it will select those units/buildings.