Star Wars Battlefront II

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Atma, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Geforce2go

Geforce2go Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    EA removed loot boxes (microtransactions) from SWBFII in March this year.

2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    EA was and still is at the heart of Microtransations and Loot Boxes...

FTC Loot Box Crackdown || feat. EA
    cbas

Published on Nov 28, 2018
    like, zoinks scoob, i dunno how those fellas can squeeze their ways outta this one

Loot Box Crackdown Escalates as US Federal Trade Commission Begins Investigation
    YongYea
    Published on Nov 28, 2018
    Senator Hassan Questions FTC Commissioners

Kay Cee21 hours ago (edited)
    "The guy's behind Warframe added a system where, for a small fee, you could apply a random skin to your pet. A single guy, within a couple of days, used this one feature more than 200 times. As soon as the Warframe Devs noticed, they took the system out of the game entirely saying that they "had created a slot machine" and that they couldn't in good conscience keep the system live knowing that folk would put that much money into it. If the Warframe Devs can recognize it as gambling and act appropriately, so can everybody else."
    The Untold History of EA's Long (and Rich) Pay-2-Win Love Affair
    Skill Up
    Published on Nov 24, 2017
    This video started out as a review for Star Wars Battlefront II, but as I researched the commercials behind it, I began to uncover a consistent pattern from EA that began as early as 2006, and has since come to define much of our industry as other publishers have sought to recreate EA's success. This is the story of Andrew Wilson's golden goose and how it saved EA but cost us AAA gaming in 2017.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  3. hmscott

Reputations:
    After EA lost so badly by frontloading Battlefront II with micro-transactions, EA is is starting the progression of micro-transactions in their games again, first introducing new micro-transactions into Battlefield V (even after promising to never add micro-transactions to BFV) and then 10 days later saying that the new Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order game won't have micro-transactions - the same thing EA said about Battlefield V.

This video covers that progression of promises and then the breaking of those promises after players have bought the game, and how EA went too far with Battlefront II - front loading the game with micro-transactions that put off gamers from buying BFII.

EA seems to have worked out the fencing for their microtransactions, promising none, introducing them with new names but the same effects.

Long, but very interesting, good comments in the youtube listing as well.

EA Lied, Made Battlefield V Pay To Win! Why Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order should worry you
    Overlord Gaming
    Published on May 4, 2019
    EA promised in 2018 that you couldn''t buy in game advantages with real money. They broke this promise in April 2019 by introducing time savers and microtransactions in Battlefield V. This video explains why you shouldn't keep your hopes up for Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order.

AlexusR and Atma like this.
  4. hmscott

Reputations:
    Influencers "outing" EA and others about getting paid for opening their loot boxes. Here's an interesting quote from the article, and Yongs take on the situation:

“What’s really interesting about it to me,” Dariani said, “they’re not ashamed to admit that they’re being paid for these things. In fact, it’s actually a benefit to them in a lot of cases [to be able to say to their audience], ‘Look, EA is recognizing that my content has value. They’re paying me. They’re supporting my channel because of the work that we’ve done, that the community that we’ve grown together with our audience.’ These big companies are involved now and that, for many people, can be a source of validation, a sign of growth, a badge of honor.”

The FTC workshop will continue throughout the day. An archive of the proceedings will be available online."

FTC panel reveals troubling relationship between streamers and loot box creators
    Content creator says a publisher once offered to misrepresent the odds of winning to viewers
    By Charlie Hall@Charlie_L_Hall Aug 7, 2019, 3:19pm EDT
    https://www.polygon.com/2019/8/7/20758974/ftc-loot-box-panel-streamer-publisher-sponsorships

FTC Hearing Exposes Publishers Bribing Influencers To Misrepresent Loot Box Odds
    YongYea
    Published on Aug 12, 2019

Atma and Prototime like this.