Stable and resilient laptop for high load tasks

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Suncatcher, Nov 26, 2021.

1. Suncatcher

Suncatcher Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    1) What is your budget?
    1.5K USD

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    Worldwide. I like Walmart, Amazon, Bestbuy but also it can be on-site vendor outlets (HP, Dell, Acer)

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like:
    b. Dislike:
    No special preference, except I don't trust newcomers in this business: Honor, Xiaomi, etc.
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    No.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Video editing, mastering, VM (virtual machines)

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Mainly on desk

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    No

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    2-3

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Online is ok

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Doesn't matter

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    Doesn't matter

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    Matte is better but it's not a really critical decision factor

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    No

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    Doesn't matter, because I have a M.2 stick to upgrade

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    Now

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    3 years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    2 weeks

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    No

20) Should it be upgradable?

Yes! I don't accept rigs with the soldered memory or SSD. I want something possible to upgrade.

Long story short, I'm a developer, but I do not do work at home and this laptop I am buying is for home activities. But I do a little video composing/editing at home just for fun, so the laptop should be performant and resilient, on my current one HP Probook 430 G5 I cannot properly render in Adobe After Effects even with 32Gb of memory.
    I want to highlight am not choosing the laptop solely for Adobe AE, I also occasionally (!) run virtual machines and other tasks, but AE is a good example how heavy tasks can be a stress-test for laptop.

I know my budget is a bit tight for video mastering, but maybe you can suggest couple of decent options. Also I have spare RAM and SSD to replace, so I don't really care what comes out of the box, only the CPU and chipset matters, it should be Core i7 or higher-level Core i5 of latest generations (10+).

On my workplace I changed 3 different laptops this year and the most I liked was Lenovo ThinkPad P15v, however it exceeds my budget. For other brands I have no special preference nor distrust.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
  2. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    There's a few of these floating around the Lenovo Outlet under your budget. I'd lean towards this one, for the very good 4k 600 nit LCD.

Rokobo and Suncatcher like this.
  3. Suncatcher

Reputations:
    thanks. do I have any other alternatives?

4. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If the ThinkPad P15v is model of what you want, it would seem you're looking for a workstation. Lenovo along with Dell and HP offer them, but your budget is going to be an obstacle if you want new. You could go use, but that presents its own set of issues.. If you want to go more on the consumer side you might be able to find a Dell XPS 15 with dedicated GPU under budget. The XPS is a well made notebook with great screen. If you want an inexpensive notebook that packs a punch, the Acer Swift 3 with Ryzen CPU might be worth a look and comes in half your budget, though you'll get an integrated GPU. There's so many choices these days you can go in any direction. If you want a workstation I believe the ThinkPad I linked above is good choice.

If you buy directly from the manufacturer, it's most likely a return that'll look new and come with at least a year of warranty. Plus, you get a nice discount over new. Given your somewhat limited, this seems like the best path to a notebook you like with a warranty.

5. N2ishun

N2ishun Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  6. Rokobo

Rokobo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I would grab that Thinkpad P above and run. That one is robust

7. Suncatcher

Reputations:
    actually I was considering this model, but still unsure. How this gaming G series with Ryzen 7 behaves in video tasks like rendering and applying effects? did you use it personally? how is the screen?

8. Suncatcher

Reputations:
    thanks for your advice, I did look into XPS side before but now chosen my fav brand - MSI, and couple of favorite models: MSI Modern A11M, MSI Summit B15 and E15, MSI Prestige A11M. MSI gaming laptops are also very cool, but the lack of Thunderbolt 4 and PD is a dealbreaker for me.
    Maybe you know MSI series, what actual model you can suggest for my aims?

9. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    This GS66 may work for you:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-gs...ssd-16gb-memory-black/6464557.p?skuId=6464557

I do believe all GS66 and GS76 have TB4 ports supporting power delivery. Luckily this model also has easy to upgrade SSD and RAM slots so upgrades can be done.

Suncatcher and saturnotaku like this.