SSDs and battery life, pointless ?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Kallogan, Apr 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Eh? I'm not sure I follow your response. My point is that power draw from the wall is not the same as power draw on battery. Power saving measures are taken into account automatically by the machine so you don't blow up your battery.

I have no affiliation with thessdreview at all.

And yes, I will keep playing and watching hockey, thanks.

:confused:

2. Marksman30k

Marksman30k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Agreed, most Li Ion batteries cannot take the kinds of currents that can be drawn from a wall socket without issues with longevity. Plus, there are so many low level optimizations that take place when the BIOS detects the machine is in battery operation that you simply cannot compare the power draw accurately.

@everyone else
    Actually, I do think most SSDs improve battery life, one simply only has to look at the idle power draw which is better than most HDDs. Whether the extra 15 minutes or so is worth the trouble is dependent on the the individual values but its there. To those still doubting, I suggest looking at the Tweaktown SSD reviews, one of the few that actually chucks the SSD in a laptop and measures the battery life. You'd be surprised that even the 840 pro is not the most power efficient in that scenario unlike what 90% of other reviewers say.

3. yalcin19

yalcin19 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    :confused:
    What is your point dude? Have a look at the topic title and share your opinion if you've got one.
    Or you're still worried about filling up your daily quota?

On your Laptop? :) unless the world slows down over there? :)

4. yalcin19

Reputations:
    When comparing HDDs to SSDs there will be an improvement in power consumption.
    Again power draw is not the main attribute of SSDs while choosing amongst them. You'll see or in better words
    you will not feel it that is because it will only be pin .

So the bottom line is while buying and choosing amongst them, no need to look at how much power they draw as it goes with
    MTBF (another marketing gimmick that most of consumers have no idea what that is).

5. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I would refer to the Tom's Hardware charts for comparative information collected under standardised testing conditions.

For example, HD Video playback as representing moderate usage: 2.5" HDDs - 0.8 to 2.1W and SSDs - 0.16 to 1.35W

Idle usage: 2.5" HDDs - 0.3 to 1.90W and SSDs - 0.03 to 1.23W

Maximum write performance: 2.5" HDDs - 2.1 to 3.9W and SSDs - 1.05 to 6.02W

There are other charts, including performance per watt. I would note that while the charts are called "2012", some of the drives listed have been superseded.

Personally, I would consider the likely usage of a notebook running on battery to be somewhere between idle and the HD video playback: A drive will have some idle time but there's a lot going on in the background with writing of log files, etc. As already noted, the significance of the power consumption difference depends on the overall notebook power consumption usage.

John

6. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
  7. noric

noric Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Great site! And you are right, when I read on that site I was surprised the 840 pro was not the most power efficient! :D

8. yalcin19

Reputations:
    Ferrari drivers worried about the fuel drips.
    Keep the blinkers on, it may help while playing hockey on expensive machines. :)

9. davidricardo86

davidricardo86 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Lay off the hockey and smart alec responses already will you, he's only trying to help you.

10. OtherSongs

OtherSongs Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    +1 on all of that!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.