SSDs and battery life, pointless ?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Kallogan, Apr 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kallogan

Kallogan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks for your answers guys.

I just checked the HDD that came in my z500 and it's a samsung/seagate spinpoint m8 1TB. And according to reviews, it's the 5400rpm HDD that apparently has the lowest power consumption. Idling at 0,58W and tops at 2,6W at load.

"""Surprisingly, power consumption from the M8 is very low, even approaching SSD territory when idle (disk heads parked). At 0.58W, this is among the lowest of most modern 5400RPM hard drives (most nowadays tend to idle at 0.7W). Under load, power usage increases to 2.6W which is normal for most 5400RPM drives. Just to put this into perspective, the 7200RPM Hybrid Momentus XT (First Generation) idles at 0.7 and peaks at 3.3W under load, while the Corsair Force Series 3 120GB idles at 0.52W and peaks at 2.2W under heavy load."""

Knowing that my z500 idles at 14-15W, i will probably see no benefit at all in battery life if i switch for a ssd.

I was among the first ssd lovers but damn it's good to have 1TB storage. Not to mention windows 8 boots fast even on a good old HDD. So i'll pass on ssd this time.

2. Kallogan

Kallogan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Very interesting. i'll give a look.

3. noric

noric Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just in case someone don't know, a firmware update back in last Autumn claims to have improved power consumption of the Crucial M4 by disabling HIPM...

4. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Go with a Samsung 840 or 840 Pro. Idle power consumption is half the spinpoint (~ 0.3W) and under load about 3W, and keep in mind that an SSD will complete most tasks ten times faster than a traditional 5400RPM spinner. Plus you can have the SSD turn off after a few minutes because it turns on instantly unlike an hdd that has to spin up. It's not only for power but the performance advantage is so incredible. I can't use any machine now without an SSD.

5. yalcin19

yalcin19 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It is pointless as you said. It is just a fraction and neglegible.
    Even if they'd performed worse compare to HDDs, I still would have gone for SSDs.
    The whole idea is it is way better than HDDs not that they draw less power.
    That is not an attribute of SSDs
    newer and faster GPUs draws much more power and generates more heat.
    But still people go for the performance and don't care about the power consumption.

6. noric

Reputations:
    On modern notebooks even half a watt has a non negligible effect on battery life. If mobility is the focus, it's worth getting the less power hungry (Samsung 840).

7. yalcin19

Reputations:
    Why buy Ferrari if you care about fuel consumption?

I just checked my laptop with a watt meter and it draws 40 watts.
    Half a watt is neglegible ~.01%.

Again power consumption is not the main attribute of SSD's while considering buying one and choosing amongst other SSD's.
    That is reviewers' to find something different for comparison.

8. noric

Reputations:
    Of course we don't buy ssd to save power. But consider that when you are on battery the power draw is far lesser than what you see at the wall plug. My Lenovo draws 20+ watts out of the wall plug, while only 6-7 watts from the battery. Both measured at idle.
    Giving a 0,3watt difference between one ssd and another, it means 0.3/6 watt = 5% = 15 minutes on a 5 hours battery. Not so big of a difference but not negligible either.

9. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    That's it. 40W from the wall is likely with high performance and battery charging. Any machine that draws 40W is just a power hog or a high end machine without nVidia Optimus or AMD Enduro. Even my Sager NP9150 with GTX 680m with Optimus draws ~ 15-18W while on battery at balanced performance.

10. yalcin19

Reputations:
    and your point is? or you just wonder around to fill up your daily quota for number of messages.
    Oh just remembered you and thessreview (who has no idea about SSDs but has SSD review site)
    were mates.
    keep playing hockey :) nice game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.