SSD - Worth it? (And a little more questions)

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by lucretio, Dec 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ValkerieFire

ValkerieFire God Follower

Reputations:
    Consider a 60-64gb drive. I had a ocz vertex 30gb in my G73. It's plenty of space for windows, office, etc but if you add one game (crysis for me) then your right at the max capacity. You only want to use 90% of the drive. I went over 90% and started getting BSoD and memory problems, even with page file, hibernate, etc disabled. 60gb will give you some breathing room. Plus a 60gb is only 50% more $$$ than a 30gb.

2. puterg33k

puterg33k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I dont remember where, but I've read some where that SSDs dont really offer much for games. I would think they would no? Loading different instances? Racing games especially...

Well, lemme know what you think. :)

3. Butr0sButr0s

Butr0sButr0s Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    They are great for games that do a lot of texture loading or swapping. When I played lord of the rings online it greatly increased performance. First - when loading the game initially my load time went from around 1 minute 30 seconds to below 30 seconds. Second - when running through main hubs my old hard drive would cause the game to stutter a lot, since it had to load lots of new textures and models as all the players came into view. With my ssd everything runs silky smooth and even in the most congested of areas I never have any stuttering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.