SSD Tweaks and Tips

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Oscar2, Nov 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Les

Les Not associated with NotebookReview in any way

Reputations:
    You might be interested in the very first internet ssd review done by 'The SSD Guy' here at NBR which is ar0und here buried somewhere eheheh.

2. warrior811

warrior811 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    all the dispute about hibernation -- I don't really see the point of it. Wasn't it mainly introduced for more rapid startups? A non-issue on the Z. Or are people really working with so many windows open that it's more desirable to hibernate over shutdown? meh I disabled it first thing, and just use sleep.

3. arth1

arth1 a҉r҉t҉h

Reputations:
    It's not just the number of windows, but the state of what you're running.
    If I'm working at compiling something, I like to get back to where I were, with the same files open, looking at the same line numbers, with the same history buffer for each console window. It can easily take 10 minutes or more to get back to where you were, if you can even remember it.

That said, I much prefer standby over hibernation. I never leave the machine disconnected from the mains for long enough for standby to deplete the batteries.

4. tailwagger

tailwagger Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So it turns out that as you might suspect, adding 4GB of RAM winds up stealing another 8GB of disk space. Didn't look at my page size prior to upping the memory, but afterward it was at nearly 8GB. Idiotic. Set it to a fixed 1GB which is still overkill (largely as if they're this stupid to begin with who knows why they might be swapping), but at least its a little more reasonable.

Most of the other 4GB seems to have gone to hibernate. I've left it on for the moment, but I frankly dont think the cost in SSD space is worth it and likely will shut that down as well. There seems to have been a further 1/2-1 GB unaccounted for when I shut all this down, but likely that was just a loss related to foolishly doing a series of Windows updates. When someone gets a solution for the SxS debacle, I'd love to hear about it.

5. arth1

arth1 a҉r҉t҉h

Reputations:
    Well, this solution works well for me :D

6. tailwagger

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, I bought this particular box as a highly portable workstation for handling video and data analysis which is sadly all Windows based. The whole point of buying the fastest, okay nearly, porta-box available is to squeeze every last bit out of it while on the road, so I'm not, in this case, predisposed to virtualize. 'sides, I'm a Suse guy ;)

7. Oscar2

Oscar2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Added entry for disable Pagefile to OP.

8. anseio

anseio All ways are my ways.

Reputations:
    I enabled hibernate today to see just how much it would write to my SSD. I don't leave a lot of programs running, but today's hibernate used 500MB. Nowhere near as high as I thought it would be.

9. warrior811

warrior811 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  10. tailwagger

Reputations:
    Hmm... Well I downloaded the free version to try it, but it failed to detect my SSD drives, saved a log and exited. Unfortunately, the log seems to a binary format so no assessment as to why it could see the drives, but perhaps iits not happy with raid arrays.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.