SSD Tweaks and Tips

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Oscar2, Nov 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beaups

beaups New Jack Hustler

Reputations:
    My math is fine. You are only writing to each block one time each time you hibernate. The issue with SSD's manifests itself in a single block being written to too many times and causing wear. And due to wear leveling they won't even be the same block each time.

2. anseio

anseio All ways are my ways.

Reputations:
    It will only write 4GB of RAM if 4GB is actually what's in use at the time of hibernation. I'd love to have mine on. Will give it a try, since sleep has BSOD issues if left sleeping for more than a few hours.

3. beaups

beaups New Jack Hustler

Reputations:
    To put into more perspective:

If you have a 4GB hibernation file on a 128gb (really 120) ssd that's 3.3% of the space on the drive. With programs, windows install etc. it's 4.4% of the free-write space. Most mlc cells are rated for about 10,000 writes. Each time you hibernate it wears 4.4% of the drive by a factor of .0001. So.....you will need to hibernate your drive about 250,000 times to kill it.

I'm pretty worried myself ;)

4. anseio

anseio All ways are my ways.

Reputations:
    End of the world!!!

5. arth1

arth1 a҉r҉t҉h

Reputations:
    Wrong again. You assume that the wear leveling is 100% efficient and doesn't have to copy blocks.
    In reality, wear leveling causes blocks to be moved around on the drive, which causes a minimum of two writes for each write that has to be wear leveled, rising towards four writes as the drive approaches full or doesn't have TRIM.

6. tailwagger

tailwagger Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Out of curiosity anyone know if the hibernation reserved size increases when going from a 4 to 8GB system? I suppose I can live with the current level which appears to lock yet another 2 gig of my 192 (down to 140 after my cleaning out most of the junk and installing the stuff I need). But when I go to 8, will the reserved size climb?

7. beaups

beaups New Jack Hustler

Reputations:
    Not wrong again. The block that is being freed up due to wear leveling isn't written to or erased again until data is reallocated to that location (when the drive needs it again).

Even if you were right (you're not), then you'd have to hibernate 125,000 times to trash the drive.

Let's look at it this way. If your drive doesn't wear level at all, and all the data keeps getting written to that same 4gb over and over....you can hibernate around 10,000 times before that 4gb of the drive is "shot"...or more likely replaced by spare cells.

8. Oscar2

Oscar2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Pretty much it was the primary inspiration for this thread, as far as expanding beyond the previous thread's more singular topic of using memory cache for Firefox.

9. Les

Les Not associated with NotebookReview in any way

Reputations:
    You guys can keep hashing it out but I just wanted to say thanks for including me in the thread eheh.

10. Oscar2

Oscar2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wow! 5300+ posts and with the title "SSD guy" :eek:

Welcome to our humble thread. We are not worthy... :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.