SSD Tweaks and Tips

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Oscar2, Nov 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim_Kirk

Jim_Kirk Newbie

Reputations:
    Oscar2==>Glad the OCZ link helped to compliment your post. :)

2. warrior811

warrior811 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks for the post. I've disabled the 2 fetchings and windows indexing, and enabled the write-back caching.

Would love to hear any dissenting opinions to doing any of these, in terms of my 256gb Z12.

3. JP$

JP$ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Oscar2 did a nice job of providing some opposing views on some of the recommendations, like the increased risk of data loss with enabling the write-back cache and the advantages/disadvantages to defragmenting the SSD. Those are a few controversies I've seen sparked by some of these recommendations in the past.

4. Oscar2

Oscar2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't really see the benefit of that one. Is it just for saving on disk space? (I'll add it if some feel it useful).

5. anseio

anseio All ways are my ways.

Reputations:
    Disc space being one thing.

More important is that every time your lappy hibernates, the contents of your RAM are written to the SSD. Found in The SSD Optimization Guide | The SSD Review

If you're looking to decrease unnecessary writes to your SSD, hibernation and pagefile are two options. Page file being a little more controversial. Opinions for and against it. I've got 4GB of RAM, so have no need for a page file. The exception is that one of my games requires it, so I have it located on my 2ndary HDD. Pagefile is also a space saver move.

6. beaups

beaups New Jack Hustler

Reputations:
    Deleting the hibernation file just to save extra write cycles seems ridiculous. It only does a single write to that file when you hibernate the machine. That's what, 1-2 times per day max for most users? So over 2 years you'd have 400-700 writes to that area? I can see trying to free up disk space, but seems otherwise pointless to disable.

7. Oscar2

Oscar2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have added it to the OP.

8. anseio

anseio All ways are my ways.

Reputations:
    There are other tweaks that are much more ridiculous than this one. We take the ones we like and discard the rest. I, personally, do not like the "disable drive indexing" tip.

4. DISABLE DRIVE INDEXING
    The purpose of drive indexing on a hard drive was to allow quicker access to a file. As access times on a ssd are almost instantaneous (.1ms), there is a common belief that indexing does nothing more than increase the total number of writes to the ssd which results in a lesser life cycle. Having stated this, there is no confirmed performance increase by disabling indexing and the chances of wearing out ones ssd is somewhere in the area of impossible to one in a million.

I like drive indexing, it's necessary for searching from the start menu to function well. It also does not write repeatedly and incessantly like web browsing can. My indexing folder is 360MB and contains information for 95,000 files.

It's very easy, with SSD's, to become obsessed with its lifespan and to try to decrease writes as much as possible. That must be tempered with what we'd like out of the SSD in regard to everyday usage.

I've only got 80GB and like to have my photos on the SSD, since they load MUCH faster into Picture Motion Browser than when they're on my HDD. Since I need the space, I prefer to disable hibernation and have relocated my pagefile to my HDD.

It's the nature of the drive to degrade as it is filled to capacity, but it's hard to really drive those numbers down. TRIM and Garbage Collection are supposed to be very helpul in keeping performace up.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/har...ssd-thread-benchmarks-brands-news-advice.html

9. beaups

beaups New Jack Hustler

Reputations:
    ^Agreed. I agree on indexing being useful as well, but I'm not sure any of us know how many writes the indexes makes. I rely on indexing a lot in outlook.

My point with hibernation is that it's one write each time the computer hibernates, which the user controls, and isn't very often. I can't see any logical case for disabling it in effort to decrease writes. I do agree with disabling it to free up disk space, which happens to be why mine is disabled ;)

10. arth1

arth1 a҉r҉t҉h

Reputations:
    Your math is flawed. Each "write" consists of a lot of writes. The file system's block size is 4k, and the disk's block size is 512 bytes. So if you have 4 GB RAM, you write 8388608 blocks to the disk. Multiply that with 400-700.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.