SSD to withstand heat generated in CF-19 Mk 6? (57 degrees Celsius)

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by SJLPHI, Jul 2, 2020.

1. kschewe

kschewe Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    what speeds are you getting with the nvme drive on usb 3. I use sata ssd on usb 3

2. SJLPHI

SJLPHI Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Honestly, USB3 and heat are the limiting factor for NVMe enclosure. I have several configurations:
    • 2 x 2242 Toshiba 240GB Sata B+M key, for Linux and backup.
    • 2 x 2280 512GB NVMe M key, for Linux and backup.
    • All adapter I bought have USB 3.0 and USB 3.1 Type-C (most expensive version).
    • Warning, the USB 3.0 port on CF-19 needs a bit of extension (I use a spare antenna extender that I got from Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse) to accommodate the enclosure.
    I cannot give you any numbers because crystaldiskinfo is not recognizing the interface board.

From a quick test from moving my system SSD <-> USB3.0/3.1-C 100GB transfer, we're looking at on average 200MB/s either ways for any configurations.

I didn't get these adapters for speed, I only got them because adapters for M key M2 SSDs are impossible to find elsewhere. Most manufactureres and sellers mislabel them. Even my supplier on e-bay, despite I told him that the enclosure works for M and B+M keys, he hasn't corrected it. He says it only works for M key but not for B+M or B.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  3. kschewe

kschewe Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That is what i was wondering about the nvme usb. I will get on in the future just for computer repair. Now i been using msata. I never fixed a computer so far with the nvme. Msata are cheap where i live. Was even using msata to sata boards for internal drives. Now ssd sata drives the prices are cheap. I can easily get 350 speeds on that and its probably usb limit. Fast enough though.
    You are running linux off usb on a cf-19? I tested many and so far on the Debian line, mint is the best, or manjaro if you like arch. On the cf-19 i left windows on it though, .

4. SJLPHI

Reputations:
    Honestly if you have the money and it's more economical to go for SATA or mSATA + enclosure + USB3 adapter, there is no real advantage of buying USB3 enclosure for NVMe...

I only got them because I have spare M key and B+M NVMe cards, but it's really to not waste the drives, not for the speed.

I use OpenSUSE. I did try Mint/Ubuntu/Debian a long time ago (on other computers) but I haven't since I switched to OpenSUSE.

5. SJLPHI

Reputations:
    I've recently acquireda CAT S60 phone with built-in FLIR and decided to have some fun. I took thermal images of the toughbook by the keyboard at idle with and without PSU attached, and also at 100% performance for extended periods of time. Pictures go in the following order:
    1. Keyboard while Idle with PSU unattached.
    2. Keyboard at 100% usage (without undervolting and without hyperthreading off) for 30 minutes.
    3. HDD/battery ports from 2.
    4. MicroSD+Expresscard ports from 2.

For some reason I didn't realize that the heatpipe actually runs on top of the HDD caddy. That explains how the SSD/HDD has been heating up a lot and how the thermal pad change cooled things up. Also, it explains why the left corner of the keyboard gets heat up.

All tests done with all ports closed other than the side USB 3.0 port and power port. I opened the microSD/HDD/battery ports only for the picture.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    kschewe and 6730b like this.