SSD to withstand heat generated in CF-19 Mk 6? (57 degrees Celsius)

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by SJLPHI, Jul 2, 2020.

1. kschewe

kschewe Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    what speeds are you getting with the nvme drive on usb 3. I use sata ssd on usb 3

2. SJLPHI

SJLPHI Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Honestly, USB3 and heat are the limiting factor for NVMe enclosure. I have several configurations:
    • 2 x 2242 Toshiba 240GB Sata B+M key, for Linux and backup.
    • 2 x 2280 512GB NVMe M key, for Linux and backup.
    • All adapter I bought have USB 3.0 and USB 3.1 Type-C (most expensive version).
    • Warning, the USB 3.0 port on CF-19 needs a bit of extension (I use a spare antenna extender that I got from Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse) to accommodate the enclosure.
    I cannot give you any numbers because crystaldiskinfo is not recognizing the interface board.

From a quick test from moving my system SSD <-> USB3.0/3.1-C 100GB transfer, we're looking at on average 200MB/s either ways for any configurations.

I didn't get these adapters for speed, I only got them because adapters for M key M2 SSDs are impossible to find elsewhere. Most manufactureres and sellers mislabel them. Even my supplier on e-bay, despite I told him that the enclosure works for M and B+M keys, he hasn't corrected it. He says it only works for M key but not for B+M or B.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  3. kschewe

kschewe Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That is what i was wondering about the nvme usb. I will get on in the future just for computer repair. Now i been using msata. I never fixed a computer so far with the nvme. Msata are cheap where i live. Was even using msata to sata boards for internal drives. Now ssd sata drives the prices are cheap. I can easily get 350 speeds on that and its probably usb limit. Fast enough though.
    You are running linux off usb on a cf-19? I tested many and so far on the Debian line, mint is the best, or manjaro if you like arch. On the cf-19 i left windows on it though, .

4. SJLPHI

SJLPHI Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Honestly if you have the money and it's more economical to go for SATA or mSATA + enclosure + USB3 adapter, there is no real advantage of buying USB3 enclosure for NVMe...

I only got them because I have spare M key and B+M NVMe cards, but it's really to not waste the drives, not for the speed.

I use OpenSUSE. I did try Mint/Ubuntu/Debian a long time ago (on other computers) but I haven't since I switched to OpenSUSE.