SSD to withstand heat generated in CF-19 Mk 6? (57 degrees Celsius)

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by SJLPHI, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    Yes it was worth it. I already had the unit apart. Only took a few more minutes to replace ALL the pads.

2. SJLPHI

SJLPHI Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I will consider it when I have thermal pads. I will have "some" left overs after applying it to PCH and CPU.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  3. SJLPHI

Reputations:
    To answer myself. I just received and installd the 1mm thick thermal pad on the PCH and CPU. I am still testing but so far I am extremely impressed.

1. 1 mm may be thick enough as far as I screw the MB in tight. I may change if the results of the tests are not satisfactory.
    2. On boot CPU reached ~ 70 degrees Celsius on boot, then idling at ~40 C and compiling using 4 cpu threads at ~90 C.
    Weirdly the SSD is also running cooler at ~40 C compared to before ~55 C.

Before installing the new pad, it was
    CPU: boot/idle/4 thread compile: 80 C/50 C/100 C
    SSD: >55 C.

After installing the new pad:
    CPU: boot/idle/4 thread compile: 70 C/45 C/85 C
    SSD: <50 C.

I am writing and posting this while compiling using all 4 threads. Before the new pads, that would have been impossible!

I am confused as to why the SSD is running cooler. I have not yet replaced the thrmal pads to the frame. Just from the CPU and PCH to heatpipes (not enough pads to do that yet)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    toughasnails and Shawn like this.
  4. ADOR

ADOR Evil Mad Scientist

Reputations:
    The extra heat may have been heat soak from the CPU to the SSD case.

5. SJLPHI

Reputations:
    The 1.5mm 16.6W/mK pad (https://www.ebay.ca/itm/EC360-PLATI...938054?hash=item1a9485ac46:g:jgwAAOSwwJ1eR~4r) arrived and while installing new pads from heatpipes to chassis I've noticed several things:
    1. The 1mm thremal pad (https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Alphacool-1...336837?hash=item1a0766f205:g:SdwAAOSwjCBd9~de) does make "decent" thermal contact for CPU and PCH chips. I can tell by the indentations left on the pad.

2. The contact is not strong and not very uniform as the texture of the pads (for the non-stick plastic film) remained. Furthermore no "sticky" resistance when I was pulling the motherboard out. Such resistance was present when I was taking out the original pads.

3. As a result, I replaced the 1mm 17W/mK pads with 1.5mm 16.6W/mK pads.

4. The Alphacool 1mm 17W/mK is not realy reusable. Optimally anyways, it turns into puddy.

5. Heatpipe to chassis only had 1 very old, thin thermal pad. I replaced it with rolled up small pieces of the Alphacool 17W/mK thermal pads.
    Overall after re-padding heatpipes to chassies and swapping out the 1mm 17W/mK thermal pads with 1.5mm 16.6W/mK thermal pads results in the following condition:

Original stock pads:
    CPU: boot/idle/4 thread compile: 80 C/50 C/100 C
    SSD: >55 C.

1mm 17W/mK pads without re-padding thermal pads from heatpipe to chassis
    CPU: boot/idle/4 thread compile: 70 C/45 C/85 C
    SSD: <50 C.

1.5mm 16.6W/mK pads with re-padding thermal pads from heatpipe to chassis
    CPU: boot/idle/4 thread compile: 60 C/40 C/80 C
    SSD: <40 C.

Testing will resume but so far, I am very happy to see such improvement.

kode-niner, ADOR and Shawn like this.
  6. SJLPHI

Reputations:
    Results of 24 hours testing:
    My CF-19 can now 100% function as expected out from a i5-3320m laptop. 4 thread compiling and simulating does reach up to 100 degrees Celsius at short times. I can even game (Empire Total war) while resting it on my bed without too much issue.

It feels like I finally have a working CF-19 since I left Canada (I'm in Switzerland now).

Until now, due to overheating issue (not a problem in Canada for most of the year since everyone uses A/C and it is much cooler in Canada. Europe doesn't use A/C, not even in cars, and is much warmer), most I used the CF-19 for was using it as a router and firewall. I felt it was a shame because it even has 16GB of RAM, and overheating prevented it from being used as anything. Now I think I am going to use it as a serious laptop again.

Unrelated though is that I may end up getting an emissive chiclet keyboard (https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Panasonic-C...417666?hash=item2ac5a2f582:g:nFYAAOSwoFNcOvsU) because I do really want to keep the backlight, and the current rubber backlit keyboard is seriously annoying me. I do have two non-backlit chiclet keyboards in Canada but they were impossible to use in the dark.

toughasnails likes this.
  7. kschewe

kschewe Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have the rubber backlit keyboard on a cf19mk6 It looks cool and such but not really practical to use typing. It is great for waterproof though

8. SJLPHI

Reputations:
    I too have the rubber backlit keyboard installed. I can kind of get used to it, but when I switch back to other computers I typically "attack" the keyboard maybe too aggressively.

I'm almost perfectly fine with this keyboard except when I am typing in passwords or writing programs.

9. safn1949

safn1949 I'm sure I'm on the wrong planet

Reputations:
    And today and yesterday, my 6 yr old managed to overheat the SSD in a CF-30Mk1 and crash it,they leave it on the bed or sofa until its so hot you can hardly touch the bottom, mind you it is 35c here all year. So it got a 5400 rpm drive thats old as dirt. When it fails it will get a 32gb nano usb running Linux. If it can be broke,he is the little man to do it.:D

UNCNDL1 likes this.
  10. SJLPHI

Reputations:
    I can't comment at all about how to deal with your overheating SSD, or the 5400rpm HDD because my problem went away by changing thermal pads but external USB, I use (https://www.ebay.ca/itm/SSD-Enclosu...var=424998637721&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649) for external-OS. It does get hot, but at least it's outside the chassis.

Now that I can think of it, I did have a 5400rpm and a 7200rpm 2.5" HDD in my CF-19 before, and both overheated at some point but I don't think either froze or crashed ever.