SSD to withstand heat generated in CF-19 Mk 6? (57 degrees Celsius)

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by SJLPHI, Jul 2, 2020.

1. ADOR

ADOR Evil Mad Scientist

Reputations:
    They make some really short ones for the raspberry pi. But first if take it out of it's aluminum case, as take the whole SSD board out of it's case. It can breath better and run it like that at first to see how it does.

IF you watch it you can see if all the chips, or just the "brain" or "logic" chip is the one that is getting hot.

Just have to make sure no connectors contact the sides of the metal hard drive caddy from the SSD.

I wasn't talking about not using the metal caddy, but removing the factory case from the SSD.

[​IMG]

2. safn1949

safn1949 I'm sure I'm on the wrong planet

Reputations:
    Screenshot from 2020-07-05 19-51-13.jpg Screenshot from 2020-07-05 19-50-46.png Right now on a CF-19Mk5
    120gb Sanddisk ssd
    Linux 20 on a 22 in monitor at 1680x1050

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    toughasnails likes this.
  3. SJLPHI

SJLPHI Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    safn, what is your exact SSD model?

Also for others, I don't want to void the warranty on my current SSD, but I am not opposed to using one of my spare M2 SSD with SATA adapter and some form of cooling mod.

4. safn1949

Reputations:
    Right now I have been powered on and using my Mk5 for 4 hours, SSD at 45c. CPU at 70c. I am going to say you might need to change your CPU cooling pad, my temps dropped by using an SSD as the WD Blue was so hot it was hard to hold on to. I use my 19 for a desktop running a monitor as it has no battery and it runs all night doing torrents. I had a CF-F9 running 95c with a plugged fan outlet and it did not freeze, get rid of that brand of drive would be my next move.

SanDisk SSD PLUS 2.5 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SDSSDA-120G

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2020
    UNCNDL1 and Shawn like this.
  5. SJLPHI

Reputations:
    Any suggestions of thermal pads? I just tried one from a local store on the CPU, and the temperature pretty much stayed at 80~100 degrees Celsius. After that, I cleaned the original pads in isopropanol and re-applied it. It's back at 50 degrees Celsius now.

I know a bit about thermal paste, but pads. No clue...

6. safn1949

Reputations:
    Shawn is the guy with the info on thermal pads, lets see if he is around.

7. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For CPU usage and if you need thickness your best bet will be Fujipoly Extreme XR-m:
    https://www.amazon.com/mod-smart-Fujipoly-Extreme-Thermal/dp/B00ZSJQLME

Those are hard thermal pads, so only use them on CPU and GPU dies where the system heatsink already used thermal pads.

For the best thermal performance, you might want to instead buy a couple of cooper shims with 0.3, 0.5m and 1mm thickness and them match them to the thickness that the thermal pad is now covering and then use thermal paste betweem the shims and the heatsink and the CPU die, that will give you the best possible outcome, but the Fujipoly extreme pad will also perform almost as good as the cooper shim.

8. SJLPHI

Reputations:
    Thanks senso. I will give Fujipoly a try.

On another topic. I am observing now that the lapto seems to freese at CPU ~80 degrees Celsius but SSD at 57 degrees Celsius. During the freeze the windows explorer doesn't respond until I open google chrome and several other functions and then finally un-freezes.

I am starting to wonder if this can be OS/software issue. I have already run sfc, chkdsk and a handful of other tools to check and non positive. Only worry is that this SSD has been cloned off of a HDD and the W10 installation might have gotten "funny" in process.

9. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    Fujipoly Ultra Extreme System Builder Thermal Pad Thermal Conductivity 17.0 W/mK

10. SJLPHI

Reputations:
    It'll take a while for me to find a supplier who can send it to Switzerland :(