SSD Thread (Benchmarks, Brands, News, and Advice)

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Greg, Oct 29, 2009.

1. davepermen

davepermen Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    prices for flash went up quite a bit last spring due to the finance-crysis and less resources, or what ever.

well, the prices went up again after falling for long. i could buy 128gb for 200$ back then (samsung ssd), so 512 for 800$ should have been possible back then, if available. sadly, now the prices are up quite a bit again. hopefully they'll fall again.

2. fredz

fredz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Are there any 9.5 mm 512 GB on the market? I mean, actually in stock for less than $2000.

3. davepermen

Reputations:
    no. then again, what do you want to use it for? for data, an ssd is not worth it anyways.. (but i'd like to see someone coming with real need for that much storage at f.e. 200MB/s readwrite speed.)

i've seen f.e. realtime raytracers for massive models (billions and billions of triangles based on CAD models) who have need for the massive speed and low latency to access the huge dataset randomly.

that would be a need. but they can pay 2000$ for that disk with ease anyways :)

so what would be your need? curiousity over everything :)

(at home, i'm all 80gb, laptop 160gb, and soon i'll move from 80gb to 40gb on some systems. none of the disks more than half full)

4. yuio

yuio NBR Assistive Tec. Tec.

Reputations:
    not sure, the thing just didn't work. plug it in nothing, try and boot with nothing it installed nothing. even with the mini USB port nothing.

anyone have any industy inside knowledge on pricing, I'm considering grabbing a 80GB intel for my desktop.

5. davepermen

Reputations:
    typical crap controllers. they always love to die for no particular reason. cheap manufacturing.. the flash itself normally isn't the problem.

6. sgilmore62

sgilmore62 uber doomer

Reputations:
    There are enthusiasts all over the internet who apparantly just like having the biggest fastest available components with no real need for them other than want. How could someone justify spending $700 each for 8 X-25E's $1000 for a hardware RAID card and 6g compatible mobo and use it only for benchmarking? Bragging rights?

7. DetlevCM

DetlevCM Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I suppose home video editing if you have HD videos... and gigantic panoramas in Photoshop could stress that :D

If you try to merge say - hmm, 100 21MP RAW files in Photoshop say :)

(I did merge 30 10MP Jpegs once... took 40 minutes and had a more than 30GB Temp file - and my HDD was one of the limiting factors here - the temp file writing)

8. yuio

yuio NBR Assistive Tec. Tec.

Reputations:
    some people have more money than than they know what to do with. (for those people you can donate to me ;) )

9. sgilmore62

sgilmore62 uber doomer

Reputations:
    And then there is the U.S. government with a seemingly insatiable demand for the latest and greatest of everything electronic. Just last year they added over 6 million sq ft of new access flooring over many new 600,000 sqft buildings. You know they have to fill them buildings up with computers.

10. davepermen

Reputations:
    and none of these except maybe detlev have shown me a need.

even in detlevs case, no sir, editing hd doesn't need 512gb normally at all .. :) and most likely you'd have a powerhorse laptop for this, which would allow 2 or 3 hdds. there, performant 160gb ssd + 750gb hdd or so would fit the needs better.

and no, dudes, wants are not needs :) but they are a legitimate reason to buy stuff just for the fun of it :)