SSD Thread (Benchmarks, Brands, News, and Advice)

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Greg, Oct 29, 2009.

1. davepermen

davepermen Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    at least intel won't deliver something that doesn't deliver, and is not reliable. so why should you bother?

2. yuio

yuio NBR Assistive Tec. Tec.

Reputations:
    while intel's track record is impressive that doesn't mean they haven't made mistakes, I'm worried that this could be one of them.

if only I could find a fast 32/64GB SLC drive for less than 500$

3. davepermen

Reputations:
    it won't be one of them. selling flash, and knowing how well flash lasts is one of their main business actually. since long before their first ssds.

you don't need an SLC, they don't give you anything an MLC of today can't deliver. i have slc, and intel mlc. i prefer the intel mlc.

4. Cape Consultant

Cape Consultant SSD User

Reputations:
    I still want an SLC when they become fast and affordable! I believe that they are by definition more reliable. But then again, I am not a flash NAND engineer :)

5. yuio

Reputations:
    well I worry about reliability, I two have an intel mlc and it's great, but I've already had a mlc fail on me(non-intel). it was a jmicron G.skill but, it still shouldn't have up and died. no to mention I've had quite a number of hard drive drop dead on my to, so if nearly everything goes 3bit/cell and write tolerance is drastically affected that could be a big deal.

6. davepermen

Reputations:
    they didn't fail because they're mlc. mlc doesn't matter. it might matter after 10 years of usage, yes, but not yet.

7. yuio

Reputations:
    so 10 years on 2bit/cell... what about 3bit? see what I'm getting at? if they maintain reliability then I'm fine with it. so 3bit... let me quess that it will last 4years... what next 4bit? how long will it last? 1year?

8. davepermen

Reputations:
    i know what you're getting at, and i still say the same: it won't matter. they will verify it will last for, say, 5 years, and you can trust them at it.

the current ones from intel are internally estimated to run for 80 years on ordinary desktop user configs. so even a factor 10 lower would lead to 8 years still (and that would be at 4bit flash..)

i know what you mean. i just say forget it, don't worry. other problems are bigger problems.

9. vostro1400user

vostro1400user Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    controller went dead or mlc chips?

10. fredz

fredz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Seems Toshiba announced a 512 GB SSD drive way back at the end of 2008. We're now 2010, and consumers still can't buy 512 GB SSD drives for sub-$1000 prices. Why not? What's the hold up? Where's Intel? Where's Samsung? Anyone know? I need more storage!