SSD Thread (Benchmarks, Brands, News, and Advice)

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Greg, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    You're welcome:)

Here is some info so you can try understand the basic (Storage Devices FAQ) https://www.userbenchmark.com/Faq/What-is-4K-random-read-speed/28

A lot info on the web about the topic.

2. 0rpheu5_

0rpheu5_ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sweet, thanks !

Just tested copying the Win10 ISO from a USB stick to the 970 Evo Plus, the speed was 130Mb/s. I will need to test between two SSDs as well, maybe the write speed will be slightly better.
    I've also applied a very cheap thermal pad (that I had stored as part of an old ssd heatsink) on the Phoenix controller and temps are already much better (the max was 86°C versus 99°C without the pad), so I'll definitely buy the better Gelid Ultimate one : https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B0824ZMJLY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3OVN94OLIX1JJ&psc=1

Thanks for the advice on everything, take care guys.

EDIT :
    I've seen that NAND likes to run hot, so apparently it wouldn't be good to put thermal pads on it.
    If I only apply one little square pad to the controller though, do you think I should use a complete heat sink on top of that anyway ? Could I short my SSD with the metal heatsink touching the bare PCB ?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    Papusan and tilleroftheearth like this.
  3. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    thats the idea, they will advertise the best number to make sales. though not completely all lies, the high sequential numbers do get used when needed.

Vasudev likes this.
  4. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    ole!!!, custom90gt, kojack and 5 others like this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Those two NAS boxes shouldn't be of same brand:D Sometimes a backup on the cheaper DWD's can be more appealing, LOOL

Western Digital MyCloud And MyBook Users Slammed By New Alarming 0-Day Security Flaw
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ts-and-incidents.816109/page-45#post-11104839

6. Paloseco

Paloseco Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have a simple question about SSDs lifespan:
    As far as I know, SSDs wear out when you WRITE on them. However, if I always mount the SDD logical volume, as read-only, theoretically it will last forever, since read bytes don't count against TBW. I am right or there's more to it?

7. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Nothing will last forever. If we look at MTBF, depending on the drive, we would be talking about a million hours, i.e. around 114 years :)

8. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    You would assume wrong.

SSDs wear out reading or writing.

Nothing lasts forever. Use them while you can, buy new (and have backups) as needed.

9. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If I recall while drives are in use, well just being on being enough, the controller will monitor and refresh cells / rewrite the data as needed time to time.

Now if you just kept the drive in storage unpowered. Well depending on the ambient temps/time combination you could either retain data for days or a few years. Additionally on top of that SLC would fare the best and QLC the worst. So in this case life is still preserved from non use but data would be corrupted / lost.

There’s actually great white paper or article with nice charts I found a few years back on that online. I’ll try to post it if I can find it again, a bit more in depth than the one I linked a few pages back.

TLDR as the previous poster stated more simply, answer is no.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
    Vasudev and Paloseco like this.
  10. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Powered off SSDs are supposed to keep their data safe for up to one year (once upon a time).

I wouldn't trust any current/consumer SSD to actually do so with my real data.

etern4l and Vasudev like this.