SSD Thread (Benchmarks, Brands, News, and Advice)

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Greg, Oct 29, 2009.

1. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    even if it heats up, just let it throttle and cool back down, or get a small thermal pad place it ontop of the controller and in contact with laptop chassis or something that'll be more than enough.

flash needs to remain hot to not lower its endurance, but hope that solder for flash is of high quality.

Papusan likes this.
  2. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah flash is a paradox in a way, colder the better for data retention and opposite for when doing writes. (A bit extreme and not a commonly encountered case but constant 85C temps for example in one paper mentioned data retention going as low as 6 months or even worse but many years at 35C, granted with data being moved around by the controller not too much of an issue especially since most users aren't constantly pushing them to those levels in ). Either way you probably don't want controller temps to get too out of hand, which most times is what people usually end up seeing rather than the actual flash temps in regards to readings, at least in the ones I've had.

Here's one of the references if anyone is interested. There was a better one looking at read and write temperatures with better info, if I can find it.
    https://cms-cdn.selinc.com/assets/Literature/Publications/White Papers/0015_NANDflash_IO_20141211.pdf?v=20201211-193637

Last edited: May 26, 2021
    Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    @ole!!! Intel killed Optane disks before it really begans for consumers. Samsung killed MLC drives. Here is next level of the downwards spiral in this trend.

The mainstream market is switching completely to DRAM-less SSDs computerbase.com

According to Western Digital, SSDs without a DRAM cache are becoming the standard in the mainstream consumer market.
    [​IMG]

I expect this will offset some of the increased prices due Chia mining. Aka you'll have to pay the same for less. See the bottom in the article below.
    https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ssd-developers-to-design-special-drives-for-chia-miners

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  4. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    to be fair intel sold off the fab to micron and no longer have access to the tech. so they have to source it and buy from micron instead. with limited supplies no doubt they would kill off consumer line, or charge a premium to make profit enough for them to purchase from another company, which is rare of intel.

they make a lot of their own things, good or bad. wifi card, mobo, network card, gpu, cpu, ssd, flash, ssd controller. kinda rare for them to purchase a bunch of expensive flash and then resell it but I guess they promised it on roadmap there will be legal issue if its not delivered on alder stream.

i guess the only good thing come out of this is that no more hiding performance number with DRAM. they have been saying DRAM hasnt act as cache and only store meta data for awhile now but I have my doubts. gonna see how it affects SSD.

Last edited: May 29, 2021
    Papusan, Falkentyne and Vasudev like this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    PNY Quietly Reduces XLR8 CS3030 SSD's Endurance by Almost 80% tomshardware.com | June 3, 2021

Buyers beware

ComputerBase, a German news outlet, reported that PNY has significantly reduced the endurante rating for the brand's XLR8 CS3030 M.2 NVMe SSD. The recent change suggests that PNY might have secretly switch out some of the drive's core components for lesser quality parts.

6. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    either they lied about original endurance and afraid of people find out due to chia mining, or they ran out of original flash supplies and had to use poopy flash. either way, samsung offering qlc for data center, probably WORM type drives thats read intensive.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/samsung-unveils-zns-ssds

Falkentyne and Vasudev like this.
  7. 0rpheu5_

0rpheu5_ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I thought I might ask here instead of making a new thread since this is related.
    I'm looking for a good NVME Gen 3 drive with reliable sustained write speeds for transfering large files (such as VSTs, Unreal Engine projects etc.) and good overall speed for workstation applications (mainly music production but also 3D). Even though I'm using a thick laptop, acceptable temps could definitely be a plus.

I'm torn between a few models here, what would you recommend ?
    The one I'm looking at the most : Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1Tb (145€ on Amazon.it)
    The closest competitor (I think ?) : WD Black SN750 1Tb (126€ on Amazon.de)
    The newest one : Samsung 980 1Tb (non-Pro version) (135€ on Amazon.fr)

Appreciate you guys taking the time to reply, thanks !

Vasudev likes this.
  8. ellalan

ellalan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would suggest you buy Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB.

alaskajoel, Papusan and 0rpheu5_ like this.
  9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I'd also consider Hynix P31 NVMe drive which has best power efficiency and can stand strong against Samsung 970's or basically any PCie Gen3.

Papusan and 0rpheu5_ like this.
  10. 0rpheu5_

0rpheu5_ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the replies guys, good to know I was heading in the right direction with the 970 Evo Plus.
    I've also seen very good reviews for the Hynix P31 but unfortunately it seems like it just doesn't exist in Europe, I can't find it listed anywhere.

EDIT : Just a few hours after my original post, the 970 Evo Plus already costs +10€, it's amazing how hardware prices keep going up these days :(

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021