SSD Thread (Benchmarks, Brands, News, and Advice)

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Greg, Oct 29, 2009.

1. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I dont think there are fish in the ocean so you must go record yourself and fish some and show me before I believe u.

just because someone doesnt answer your question doesnt prove your right.

Papusan likes this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
  3. Papusan

Reputations:
    TeamGroup To Embrace Chia with T-Create Expert mining SSD series guru3d.com
    By Hilbert Hagedoorn on: 05/04/2021 06:50 PM
    [​IMG]
    TeamGroup has presented a more durable SSD that has to combine a very high write volume with a very long warranty period. Unlike other cryptocurrencies, Chia relies on free hard drive storage.

[​IMG]

TeamGroup Launches Chia Farming 12,000 TBW SSD tomshardware.com

TeamGroup has announced the T-Create Expert PCIe 3.0 SSD that's oriented towards both content creator and Chia farmers. The SSD delivers the industry's first 12-year limited warranty.

The T-Create Expert PCIe SSD's greatest asset is obviously its durability because performance-wise, there are way faster drives on the market. Typically, a Chia plot requires between 1.6TB to 1.8TB writes. In theory, the 1TB and 2TB models can create up to 3,333 plots and 6,666 plots, respectively, before hitting their write limits.

The last time we checked, each Chia plot was selling for $3.5. Therefore, the 1TB drive can generate up to $11,665.5 in profits and the 2TB up to $23,331. TeamGroup didn't reveal the pricing for the T-Create Expert PCIe SSD though so we can't factor in the cost yet.

More info about Chia currency/mining can be found in the Blockchain, Cryptocurrency, Digital Transformation thread by bro @Dr. AMK

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  4. Papusan

Reputations:
    Chia mining can allegedly wreck a 512 GB SSD in forty days notebookcheck.net | 05/10/2021

Mining Chia on consumer-grade, low-capacity SSDs could prove to be fatal for your drive, says a new report. A 512 GB SSD reportedly lasts only forty days before it exceeds its TBW (terabytes written) rating, while a 1 TB SSD lasts for 80 days. 2 TB SSD lasts for 160 days.

Chia is the newest cryptocurrency on the block, and it's like nothing we've seen before. It employs a unique 'proof of time and space' concept, quite unlike the 'proof of work' used by Ethereum, Bitcoin, etc. Essentially, users stand to benefit from copious amounts of high-speed storage. However, tread with caution if you're trying to mine Chia on a consumer-grade SSD.

A Gold mine for the ssd/storage manufacturers:)

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  5. Papusan

Reputations:
    Phison Warns Chia Cryptocurrency Boom Will Soon Drive SSD Prices Higher hothardware.com | Today

It seems as though enthusiasts just can’t catch a break these days. Finding a current-generation (or even previous-generation) GeForce RTX 30 Series or Radeon RX 6000 Series graphics card in stock is near-impossible. And things on the console gaming side aren’t much better, as both the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 are in short supplies. Phison is forecasting that SSDs are next in line for a price hike in the coming months to make matters worse.

Phison chairman KS Pua cites the red-hot Chinese Chia cryptocurrency as why consumers could see a 10 percent increase in SSD prices as we head into the summer months.

6. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    pricing is already high bruh. 8TB hard drives used to be like $100-120 now its doubled, damn miners lol.

Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I didn't know that. QLC 1TB costs 200$ plus here

ole!!! likes this.
  8. Abula

Abula Puro Chapin

Reputations:
    Anyone can recommend a 2tb NVME that has a good operational temperature? not looking for the fastest, just one that will not throttle inside a laptop.

9. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    i'd go with samsung with how they design their PCB with additional copper cooling. it was there at least on the 970 series so i dont think it would change with the 980s.

going by your signature though, shouldnt msi 17 inch laptop have cooling plate for the triple m.2? @Falkentyne would prob know more since he owns one.

Vasudev likes this.
  10. Abula

Abula Puro Chapin

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply ole!!!, yes you are correct my current MSI GT73VR Titan-017 does have a metal plate that covers 3 NVMEs, but im about to move into a GE76 RAIDER 11UH-053 which doesn't seem to have much cooling on the NVMEs, i feel the current plate does its job fine, but without it, idk if ill chose Samsung, i would prefer a cooler running nvme.