SSD Thread (Benchmarks, Brands, News, and Advice)

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Greg, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The Sabrent Rocket should be slightly cooler and the Sk Hynix P31 (limited to 1TB) is going to be even cooler. I have Samsung 960 PRO and 970 PRO drives and never had them get so hot in my laptops even under sustained transfers to the point of crashing. If I recall the PM981 is essentially an OEM version of the 970 EVO. Downside to the OEM version is your'e dependent on the laptop manufacture for firmware.

If heat is really the issue, a single drive may be better in your case rather than having two hot controllers (Especially in RAID).

Also one more thing to try, have you tried running without any Samsung nVME drivers, and just using default MS nvstore drivers? I ask because Samsung has had issues with their drivers in the past from random crashes to crashes in specific situations like Hyper-V (This one is even on their FAQ's lol). Personally I run without extra fluff like that and keep it simple to avoid issues. Samsung drivers in my experience never really gave any really noticeable benefits in my testing.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    t456, Maleko48 and neit_jnf like this.
  2. neit_jnf

neit_jnf Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    OK so I uninstalled the Samsung drivers and they are definitely throttling now! I ran ATTO while playing SW Squadrons to try to crash it, they still get toasty but haven't crashed... Will keep testing. Thanks!

MS driver SWSQ.png

3. trvelbug

trvelbug Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Hello, I plan to upgrade the M.2 nvme on my dell xps 15 9560. I know there are also different sizes to the M.2 nvme ssd. What size should I specifically use for the laptop form factor?

4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    2280 form factor.

5. neit_jnf

neit_jnf Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So after reading about them I ordered a pair of 1TB Sk Hynix P31's to replace the 2 Samsungs PM981a. Hopeful to see better temps at similar performance.

6. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I suppose you could swap out your NVMe's for SATA SSD's that don't get as hot & won't crash - there's not really a tangible difference when it comes to gaming, so that might be one way of getting round your problem.

Papusan likes this.
  7. neit_jnf

neit_jnf Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    well, my laptop has 2 NVMe and 1 SATAIII. WIndows is installed in the factory NVMe, the games are in the other NVMe. I could move all the games to the SATA but the one that overheats faster usually is the Windows NVMe, not the games one. I'm going to swap the PM981a's for Sk Hynix P31's and see how they behave. If what I've been reading is true they should solve my heat issues.

8. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    dmanti, Papusan and tilleroftheearth like this.
  9. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    $7B 'now' and $2B in 5 years. I could swing that. Lol...

Papusan and Aivxtla like this.
  10. neit_jnf

neit_jnf Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So I got 2x 1TB SK Hynix Gold P31 NVMe drives, cloned the PM981a's and now these stay in the low 70's C even under heavy use with the stock heat shield! Great drives!
    I even went back to the stock thin aluminum heat shield from the 2x heavy copper ones I had on the Samsungs. No more errors or crashes so far.