SSD Thread (Benchmarks, Brands, News, and Advice)

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Greg, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    But isn't Sandbox available only on Pro and Enterprise version? I don't see it on mine, however I did see VM extensions in Home edition which gives Hyper V like features on Home and that's the reason VMWare wasn't working. I simply switched to Linux for all important apps and it doesn't complain.

jclausius likes this.
  2. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yep, I did leave it idling after the defrag was complete, I didn't really notice any difference in 'performance', but then again my system wasn't slow and was snappy before anyway, I just wanted to see if it would help the speed of scanning for Malwarebytes on that problematic JS Code Cache folder of Chrome. I haven't done the CCleaner thing yet, but I'll test Malwarebytes speed once I have done so. Thanks for your pointers.

Vasudev and tilleroftheearth like this.
  3. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Can you provide a screenshot of the folder?

4. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    You'll be able to find the folder in your User folder, this is the path of mine:
    C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Code Cache\js

It contains over 100 thousand individual 1KB sized files!

5. Vasudev

Reputations:
    I'm a FF guy. I never use Chrome.

6. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Oh, ok, but that's what they are, 1KB sized files and over 100,000 of them.

7. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Put them to recycle bin and close chrome. Re-open Chrome and you should see newer js cache files.

8. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Ah, it's ok, I don't want to mess with it. Like I said I might use CCleaner & then see how long the scan takes then. Thanks for your pointers though, but I'm gonna forget about it until next time I run a virus scan.

tilleroftheearth and Vasudev like this.
  9. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    I just bought a 1TB NVMe SSD, (Sabrent 1TB ROCKET NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 Internal SSD High Performance Solid State Drive (SB-ROCKET-1TB)) for £106 pounds on a promotion, I just couldn't pass it up, loads cheaper and good read & write speed specs (3450 MB/s (read) and 3000 MB/s (write)), and a whole 1TB of storage: (https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-...rds=Sabrent&qid=1559928077&s=computers&sr=1-3)

It's arriving tomorrow, and I'll get it installed over the next day or so, I'll at least do a comparison of boot time, and perhaps some program/game launch times - it won't be particularly wide in scope or depth as I don't want to dedicate much time to it - and am I afraid there won't be any differences to my SATA 3 SSD's, ha! Mostly I couldn't resist the 12% off voucher for an already good value product, considering I spent £80 on each of my 500GB SATA 3 SSD's over the last few years, then double the space on this NVMe drive combined with massively improved sequential reads & writes...my tech curiosity and bargain pleasing centre of my brain could not resist this purchase!

970 Evo was £80 more expensive, and WD Black was £90 more expensive....which is 75-85% more expensive than this drive I bought. They're supposed to perform on similar levels and compete against each other. I feel I've got a bargain!

10. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Cool, so I've got that 1TB Sabrent NVMe SSD installed now, and I've got all my games and programs installed on it along with a clean Windows 10 Home install (vanilla). It was trouble free really, the hardest part was working with limited space underneath my monstrous Noctua NH-D15 CPU cooler, getting the tiny tiny M2 screw screwed in (to hold down the drive) was a lesson in innovation, patience and perseverance! Windows 10 installed really quickly once it had finished reading all the data from the flash drive - I don't think I had to wait more than a couple of minutes at any point until it was prompting me to make installation choices (choosing the installation options was the most time consuming part of the process) - the fastest installation I've ever experienced, subjectively way faster than an install on a SATA SSD.

Boot times are slightly faster than SATA SSD, and program load times are a little faster. Windows Start Up from power button press to password screen: SATA = 19sec, NVMe = 16sec. Windows shut down: SATA = 5sec, NVMe = 3sec. Battlefield 1 game load from desktop to menu screen: SATA = 29sec, NVMe = 27sec.

Synthetic tests are really quite impressive with this drive. In some tests it's faster than any NVMe SSD tested that I've found in any reviews, when talking about AS SSD benchmark. Here's my Sabrent 1TB NVMe SSD result (4K 64 thread Writes are massively larger than anything I've seen, and 4K read result also higher than a lot of them):
    Sabrent AS SSD.jpg
    It blows all other drives out the water by 1000 points out of all the drives Guru3d have tested for instance:
    https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/patriot_viper_vpn100_m2_nvme_512_gb_ssd_review,14.html
    Thing is, base test systems are not the same, but I've seen NVMe reviews where base systems were overclocked 7700K, and they still didn't score as high as my drive in this AS SSD test. I'm quite surprised!

Crystal Disk Mark performance is good, but not blowing other drives out of the water, it's almost on par with 970 Evo Plus 1TB performance, which is probably the fastest NVMe drive out there currently, here's my result and then a link to the Guru3d testing of the 970 Evo Plus I mention:
    Sabrent CrystalDiskMark.jpg
    https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/samsung_970_evo_plus_nvme_m_2_(1tb)_ssd_review,15.html

Temperatures have topped out at 57 degC, during the CystalDiskMark, which produces the highest temperatures I've seen on my drive, that's without any heatsink - 57 degC is ok isn't it?

Another thing I've noticed, Windows 10 installation process installed a Microsoft NVM Express Controller driver rather than an Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver - in fact IRST is nowhere to be found on my PC on this fresh install.
    Microsoft driver.jpg
    Is there any benefit to installing IRST with an NVMe drive? My Sabrent NVMe drive does not come with any drivers from the manufacturer (they don't exist).

All in all, very happy with this purchase, other NVMe drives of this size and performance cost 75-85% more than the price I paid for this one! From the limited tests I've done it's basically the same or better than Samsung's latest 970 Evo Plus! (Although I'm sure there's some people that might be able to show me some differences).

(To keep @tilleroftheearth happy I overprovisioned the drive by 30%, although he may have something to say about my choice of NVMe SSD, ha!)

EDIT: Oh yeah, 5 yr warranty with this drive now I've registered it online! (not sure how many years it was without registering).

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    jclausius, Papusan, NIGHTMARE and 2 others like this.