SSD Thread (Benchmarks, Brands, News, and Advice)

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Greg, Oct 29, 2009.

1. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Is System Restore being used? If it is, turn it off (you can turn it on again afterward if you really want), delete any restore points and run it again.

It should really be 'zero' the free space fragmentation. It may even need another run.

Edit: There is nothing else running when you're defragging, correct? ;)

2. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    Robbo99999, one more thing... did you disable OptiWrite in Global Settings Stealth Patrol? Make sure that is disabled.

I am leaving in a few minutes for an appointment. I might be able to see your progress/posts, but probably not be able to reply. :)

So, assuming the free space defrag completes fully, let your system idle for at least half an hour or so afterward. (Letting the nand do any internal cleanup it needs).

Then test if you see it is any more responsive. Take care.

Robbo99999 likes this.
  3. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yep, System Restore Protection for all drives is set to Off. Yep, that's right, nothing else running during the defrag runs - Avira Free Antivirus Realtime protection, MSI Gaming LAN Manager, and Intel Rapid Storage Technology icons in the task bar as usual - so not active, just 'background', the usual startup items. I'll try running it again just on C: drive.

EDIT: yep, I had disabled OptiWrite in the Global Settings.

EDIT#2: redid the defrag on both C: and E: partitions, the ones that had the free space fragmentation, and the defrags completed in literally just a minute or two, hardly any free space fragmentation now:
    Perfect Disk5.jpg

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    tilleroftheearth likes this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Have you tried Malwarebytes forum?

5. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    I only do a deep scan probably once a week or something, so not too bothered about going on there to report it or find a solution. I was wanting to optimise my SSD the best I could to rule that out as a problem, because that benefits other uses of the computer too.

@tilleroftheearth , I'm not really noticing any differences in my system now after the defrag, but I don't push the SSD hard for the things I do (web browsing, gaming, light office). I'm not noticing any more snappiness of desktop & applications. Malwarebytes scan is still slow for the google chrome js cache folder - although the disk doesn't seem to be pegged at 100% active time quite as much when scanning that directory, but it's still scanning it slow even when not at 100% active time - so there's a pecularity with that folder that's slowing down the scanning apart from just active time of the disk (it's not easily seen to be CPU related, as low CPU usage, so unknown bottleneck going on for scanning of that folder). But I appreciate the help with PerfectDisk, I should think it's optimised my SSD as much as I can, so there's that!

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Bleachbit is much more than CCleaner w/o adware.
    If you've trouble trusting 3rd party SW's then give MS's tools a try especially contig from sysinternals suite and MS defrag. You can check this thread out http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-powerdefrag-free-space-consolidation.827436/ and beware it won't make your SATAIII SSDs perform like NVMe drive but you might gain some speed in certain workloads or heavy IO.

Aroc and Robbo99999 like this.
  7. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about your recommendation to clean out the temporary files, I'll probably use CCleaner before my next weekly Malwarebytes scan, to see if it speeds it up. I don't really want to try anymore defraggers, I think PerfectDisk would have done a good job and I don't want to keep thrashing the SSD for no reason.

8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If your SSD is being thrashed you need to kill processes that consume heavy IO, that way thrashing can be minimised.

9. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    It's not being thrashed by my daily usage, it's being thrashed by the defrag programs I've been running today. Read my last post and it will make sense now.

Vasudev likes this.
  10. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    Robbo99999, sorry for replying so late. Just got a free minute again to post.

Not sure how your system is set up, of course (software, drivers, etc.), but did you leave the system on and idle for the next half hour to an hour so that the SSD could do its internal housekeeping as necessary? After doing so on my systems and then using them normally for less than an hour afterward, the 'snap' is noticeably back.

Know that how you have set the parameters for SmartPlacement in PerfectDisk isn't 'thrashing' your drive, btw. ;)

It will do a minimal re-arranging as the order I use doesn't needlessly move things around.

Not that I recommend doing a SmartPlacement defrag every day (which I used to do on older, more durable, SSD's...), but doing it even every week is not an issue as far as write to nand are concerned vs. normal usage.

When you consider that simply reading the nand files is detrimental to SSD's, doing a once or twice a month defrag with PD's SmartPlacement ensures that those reads (and writes) are affecting as few nand cells as possible, given the workload.

If you have your data fully backed up, I also recommend an offline defrag and then an additional online defrag or two to fully get the SSD 'PD'd'. ;)

The results of the Malwarebytes scan not benefitting from this isn't too surprising to me. I have used/tried it in the past, but the quality of the software is obviously lacking, IMO.

Windows Defender is getting a Sandbox feature on May 10th this year. (Actually, it already has it).

This will continue to be the only A/V software I run on my systems. And the only one I will trust with Sandbox support too (scary to think anyone would let a third party player into the guts of their O/S).

I may be more sensitive than others to how defragging affects my platforms, but it also depends on how the other's systems are used too. ;)

Hope that doing a ccleaner run has restored some responsiveness to your system when doing your weekly Malwarebytes run. :)

Robbo99999 and Vasudev like this.