SSD Thread (Benchmarks, Brands, News, and Advice)

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Greg, Oct 29, 2009.

1. AdamSupra

AdamSupra Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I think I am getting the Clevo 775TM-R from HIDevolution. Seems to fit most my needs. Was going to go with the i7-9700k, RTX2070, 32gb premium RAM, all their cooling mods plus I think I plan on having with me a Klim cooler side vent fan to help if needed.
    This is for paid work although my usage varies. I do a lot more photo work on my laptop but will be probably about 50/50 once I get this one between photo/video. I shoot with a Canon C200 and BM Ursa Minis so up to 4K but mostly 65% of the time 1080p. All RAW files. I also shoot RAW photos.
    As far as time, it also varies. Some days I’m on my computer 8 hrs, some 0-2 hrs. I have probably about 20tb worth of files in external HDDs which house everything including backups currently but will probably need to expand that soon.
    Let me just say I am coming from a 13 year old HP DV6000 so this is a HUGE upgrade already for my laptop. I also use my business partners Desktop maybe once/twice a week for video editing which we custom built that has a Ryzen 7 1900x, 64gb vengeance ram, a 1080gtx and 1080gtx Ti in SLI, and a ton of internal and external SSDs/HDDs. So I’m use to a well performing desktop.
    I am on my laptop the most though as I’m always on the move, so just want to make sure whatever setup I go with can handle the job. That being said, I’m also not rich so I can’t just break the bank for the best out there all at once. I plan on buying the drives separate from HID as they charge way to much for them and installing myself to save some money. My build is already at the $3500 mark without taxes. And I maybe have room for 2 m.2/nvme drives to buy that will fit my needs.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    Vasudev likes this.
  2. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    HP Pavillion, yeah, I remember those. This will be an insane upgrade if done right. :)

That platform seems like a mostly good fit for your outlined usage. I would go for at least 64GB of RAM though (I'd just max it out to 128GB right now, myself and be done with that aspect, including reaping all the benefits of the RAM goodness every time I powered this up).

Hope the cooling is up to par for the dual 970 Pro 1TB drives. Also, suggest you get a second power adaptor right away (I never take the second power adaptor out of my bag when at the office). The second becomes invaluable if a power adaptor goes south...

Anything current can handle the work, even a 2 year old i5-8250U when enough RAM is thrown it's way. Just how much effort/patience do you have to put behind the keyboard to get this work done? The i7-9700K should be a beast after using the DV6000, but again; cooling will be the key here.

You previously mentioned 100GB project files, is this a single project? Is this a good estimate for the average? The RAM capacity becomes very important here. 32GB is circa 2015 levels of performance. 16GB is for watches/phones. Don't choke the performance of the CPU by forcing it to swap out to the storage when RAM is what is needed.

Also, buy the OS/Driver USB key for $25. You may only use it once or twice, but it will be good for a quick setup when you put in your own drives to see how everything behaves. ;)

I'd still do a clean install though, OP'ing to 67% of the drives actual capacity when seen during the Windows installer in Advanced setup.

If you could give us a quick update when you receive this of its performance characteristics (not 'scores' or BM's, but your real-world evaluation of it; heat, throttling, noise, productivity gains...), I'll be looking forward to that post. :)

Good luck on this journey. Don't settle for subpar performance in any aspect of this platform. Your $$$$ are just as good as anyone else's.

Take care.

Vasudev, Papusan and AdamSupra like this.
  3. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    As @tilleroftheearth suggested I’d go for the PRO drive for sustained writes. The 970 1 TB is ~$350 or $100 more than the EVO but may well be worth it in your case. The 960 PRO 2 TB is $449 on Newegg and probably the best buy.

tilleroftheearth you have some extreme performance needs. I looked at the same sustained data as you and saw a glass half full where you saw half empty. Granted I can’t judge because different people have different requirements.

Papusan and tilleroftheearth like this.
  4. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply. I'll look into PerfectDisk more another time, but sleep now! Today I did install Auslogics Disk Defrag as it's a program I know & trust from my spinner using days, and that's got an SSD optimise function, that I ran just now. It doesn't make any difference to the scanning speed of that troublesome JS Code Cache folder though.
    Thanks for the info about Intel Rapid Storage Technology, I didn't realise a newer driver was out, it's March release this year actually, so that 17.x is new! I installed it now. No difference to scan speed of that JS Code Cache folder though. Bleachbit I don't know, but I googled it very briefly, it seems to clean up temporary files - I've got CCleaner installed, so I think I can do the same thing using that, but correct me if I'm wrong. I'll try giving CCleaner a go tomorrow and I'll test to see if JS Code Cache folder is still slow scanning or not.

Vasudev likes this.
  5. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    No, an 'SSD optimize' function is worth less than dirt (as you just found out).

The only defragger that can fully defrag the files and the free space in one pass is PerfectDisk. Others may come close, but no cigar.

Download a trial of PD, disable OptiWrite and use SmartPlacement with the following parameters for Data Layout in SmartPlacement (double click on a drive partition and select SmartPlacement):
    • Starting with the leftmost dropdown box - Select Rarely.
    • Then right next to it, select Boot,
    • Then, select Occasionally,
    • Then select Recently,
    • Finally, select Directory.
    Make sure there are 'zeros' for all the fields in-between the categories above (Free Space MB's).

Now, hit Okay and make sure you run a SmartPlacement run by not hitting the Green Play button, rather, click the text that says Start underneath it and select SmartPlacement.

Let it run (it may take a while). At this point, I would run it at least once more.

Extra points (do before the above):
    If you have 16GB RAM or more, disable the pagefile, the hibernation file, and the System Restore function. Make sure you delete any Restore points too.

Reboot the computer. Do the PD steps above.

Again: the biggest benefit here is not a defragged file system. Rather, a defragged free space file system. Meaning that the SSD is ready on your command to write to free space as requested/demanded. Rather than doing the read/erase/write dance, it must do, with an otherwise thrashed nand subsystem.

It may not bring the scanning to where it should be - that depends on the quality of code that Malwarebytes uses - but you should still notice an improvement in any case.

In my experience, anything other than MS touching 'protected' O/S areas is the virus. I would be uninstalling/not using this A/V anymore in your shoes.

See:
    https://www.techapeek.com/2019/03/2...er-av-can-now-stop-malware-from-disabling-it/

See:
    https://www.meartechnology.co.uk/bl...x-safe-browsing-extension-for-chrome-firefox/

See:
    https://www.microsoft.com/security/...-defender-antivirus-can-now-run-in-a-sandbox/

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    Robbo99999 likes this.
  6. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Thanks for the detailed instructions. I'm running it now on the 3 partitions of my 2 SSD's. I'm running it on all 3 partitions at the same time - I'm assuming that's not a problem. One partition already completed (the games partition) within 15mins, the other 2 partitions which are on my Sandisk Ultra II are still processing, and it's about 1/3 through the boot partition after about 30mins runtime.

I'll read up on those links you posted. I'll update this post with any of my findings re scanning performance or 'other performance' after the PerfectDisk optimisation is complete.

Papusan and tilleroftheearth like this.
  7. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    I would only run it on a single partition at a time of each SSD. ;)

Looking forward to your findings. :)

8. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Ah, I did it on all 3 at the same time, hopefully not a problem, although the program seemed to come back with good results, at least in the Summary, do these look ok to you?
    PerfectDisk1.jpg PerfectDisk2.jpg PerfectDisk3.jpg

9. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    No, don't worry about a one-time event. It would have just taken longer to complete, that's all. ;)

The summary doesn't look good to me though. See the 47.6% free space fragmentation? That should be zero (or very, very close to it).

Can you post an image of the SmartScreen placement options you've set?

10. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Yes, I saw that, but the drive space map looked good, and the program said not to worry about the 2000 odd free space fragments. I did follow your instructions I think:
    Perfect Disk4.jpg
    Should I run it again you think? Although it looks like the Brown Coloured blocks are the cause of the fragmentation, they're the Excluded files, so I'm not certain that it would be able to move those even if I ran it again?

tilleroftheearth likes this.