SSD Thread (Benchmarks, Brands, News, and Advice)

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Greg, Oct 29, 2009.

1. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Hey davepermen! Hoped to see you again in these old and dusty hallways!

2. davepermen

davepermen Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    i won't be around often anymore. but yeah, here i am.

who was the guy thinking the fastests ssds where still slower than his hdd setup? i guess, for him, the new intel ssd would be useful.

/offtopic woah that page is terribly chaotic. i'm using win8 by now, clean metro styled stuff. so much stuff going on on this page.. oh my.. (and it's not usable with ie10, and the ads are terrible..)

3. JOSEA

JOSEA NONE

Reputations:
    Davepermen, welcome Back! Try Vb4 Default style ... Your relaunched site it looking good

4. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Indeed, although vertical space usage if not optimal, the site is usable. We needed to upgrade the vBulletin version anyways, but some of us are wondering what the vB guys were thinking when they designed the new GUI. Too bad we can't slap the old 3.6 GUI on it, it would be neat, but the to do list of the tech team is massive.

5. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:

davepermen, the latest (Dec 2012) Windows Updates for Win8 have made all my systems much more usable - including this website (though it is slooooooow today...) which now lets me insert a line break when I edit a post (yay!) with IE10.

As for the Intel S3700 - yeah I would love to get my hands on a few of those for my main workstation - but I'll probably wait for the 'consumer' version in a few weeks (crosses fingers).

With Win8, remember; you can say 'metro styled' stuff - but the UI is Modern UI (not Metro). ;)

Wishing you all the best for the holidays and for 2013!

6. davepermen

davepermen Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    i use metro style since knowing about it, and i won't ever call it modern ui.

never

never ever

:)

stupid metro ag.

while the page might now work in ie, the ads are still beyond terrible. i want an adfree version. i would pay for an adfree web.

7. WhatsThePoint

WhatsThePoint Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Samsung has acquired NVELO and Gains SSD Caching Software

Samsung has acquired NVELO and has added to their SSD portfolio with a proprietary caching solution that is arguably the most powerful in the industry.

Nvelo

8. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    Most powerful in the industry eh?

That's like saying I have the fastest Yugo on the block. ;)

I'll stick with the Ferrari's... :)

9. WhatsThePoint

WhatsThePoint Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    ????????

Strange Post

You fail to mention a better caching software or is there some hidden humor I'm not seeing?

10. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    The best caching 'software' (you may or may not agree with...) is a RAM drive - and that is not impressive either (Windows 7/8 does fine on it's own). Neither is the Intel SRT method for that matter.

Caching via a slow triple translation x2 small capacity SSD is nowhere close to 'the most powerful in the industry' - no matter how good it is in comparison to another just as slow or slower caching 'method'.

The best caching method is no caching - just like using USB 3.0 to run an O/S (or a PS Scratch disk) from is a lesson in futility - an SSD used as a cache is like putting Pirelli's on a Pinto (hint: it still won't be a Mustang 5.0 - no matter how pretty it looks).