SSD Thread (Benchmarks, Brands, News, and Advice)

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Greg, Oct 29, 2009.

1. doc0075579

doc0075579 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For those interested, here is a crystaldiskmark of my 512GB 840 Pro.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    CrystalDiskMark 3.0.2 x64 (C) 2007-2012 hiyohiyo
    Crystal Dew World : Crystal Dew World
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    * MB/s = 1,000,000 byte/s [SATA/300 = 300,000,000 byte/s]

Sequential Read : 498.847 MB/s
    Sequential Write : 481.072 MB/s
    Random Read 512KB : 427.101 MB/s
    Random Write 512KB : 445.980 MB/s
    Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 23.008 MB/s [ 5617.3 IOPS]
    Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 49.589 MB/s [ 12106.7 IOPS]
    Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 400.202 MB/s [ 97705.6 IOPS]
    Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 333.511 MB/s [ 81423.6 IOPS]

Test : 1000 MB [C: 32.0% (152.4/476.8 GB)] (x5)
    Date : 2012/11/24 11:08:51
    OS : Windows 7 Ultimate Edition SP1 [6.1 Build 7601] (x64)

2. vaan

vaan Newbie

Reputations:
    hello everyone, i wish somebody could help me because i dont really understand how this ssd works and reading online just confuse me more
    i am going to get my new gaming rig which is alienware m17x r4 with 128Gb mSATA ssd boot drive + 500gb hdd and i am going to put on another ssd 240gb intel 520 into the 2nd empty cuddy in my m17x.
    the 128 mSATA is for windows and some application, 500gb hdd will be for storage and i am planning to use the 240gb intel 520 ssd which i will install it myself when my alienware arrive as a game drive (i will install all my game there)
    my question is will there be any problem with the configuration i plan to make or is there any better way to use the resources that i have?
    my main purpose getting this laptop is for gaming of course
    thanks for the help :)

3. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Your plan is sound.

Only question I have: are you sure you'll have the necessary caddy/wiring/connectors for the second drive bay when your system arrives?

(Many manufacturers only fit what is sold - if you ordered it empty and didn't specify you wanted the necessary parts; you could be in for a bit of a surprise and a not so happy search hunting down all the right parts).

4. hankaaron57

hankaaron57 Go BIG or go HOME

Reputations:
    I just bought a 10 lot of old school SLC drives! $850:

Lot of 10 Intel X25-E Extreme 64GB 2.5" 3Gb/s SATA SLC SSD SSDSA2SH064G1GC | eBay

I figure them being Intel they're as reliable as SSD goes, and if they're tested in a server environment, I know I won't have any lemons. I have a pair of 32GB Intels but I paid like $350 for each one a few years back.

Great investment? Or the GREATEST investment?

5. miro_gt

miro_gt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ^ not really. Couple of years ago it would have been a great investment but not today. 85 bux buys new 128GB Samsung 830 ssd which is just as reliable (if not even better) than those drives. Also those dont support TRIM, and people want more than 64GB.

they work decent though, with average writes going at about 80MB/s over time.

6. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I can't help thinking the same as miro_gt - $850 is a lot of cash to blow on old skool stuff especially when no one really wants it. Unless you are gonna use 'em all personally, I think it's a bit of a waste......given Today's SSD's are probably much better.

7. vaan

vaan Newbie

Reputations:
    i'll make sure i got everything for the 2nd drive bay, thanks for the answer :D

8. hankaaron57

hankaaron57 Go BIG or go HOME

Reputations:
    So I just got a message from ebay that that 10 lot of X25-E's that I bought are qualifying for a 'warranty'. How do those warranties work that aren't by Intel? How much do they cost, and if one of the drives die, do they reimburse me for what I paid for them? Or some other figure or reference point for the price? There's Square Trade, Geek Squad, and Smart Care, but their descriptions on the site don't mention a price and I want to know if they're actually going to follow through if one of these 5 year old, used, SSD's die.

9. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    You got the message and you're asking us? Lol...

I would say this 'warranty' is useless - eBay isn't about protecting you and your investment in the X25-E's. It's about them making even more money.

NO HDD/SSD I've ever bought and used has ever been returned for warranty - the data is not guaranteed - the 'bare' drive is useless to me - and I won't give my or my clients data to a third party for 'diagnosis' either.

No matter what this warranty costs - save the money and put it to replacing the X25-E's as you need to. Or better yet: buy the better tech as it becomes available (S3700 possibly).

At the best; the warranty will give you a refurbished SSD with you paying shipping both ways and insurance and still have the system down until all this shipping/diagnosing/approval has happened at the pace of the third party's warranty you've purchased... why would you pay for this?

You'll still be without your data. You'll still need to take the time to integrate the SSD back into your system and worse; you'll still be with a refurbished SSD (possibly in worse condition than yours was) and you will more than likely not have a right for a further claim on this 'replacement' SSD.

Best option: ignore message from eBay.

Good luck.

10. davepermen

davepermen Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Just walking by... saying hi.