[?] SSD provisioning

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by jeremyshaw, Oct 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    madmattd,

It seems like the v11 IRST drivers might support TRIM in RAID configs too.

If it's not simply a typo on Intel's documentation team (and missing a 'not' in the quote/screenshot by Dufus).

2. Dufus

Dufus .

Reputations:
    Although it specifically says RAID0 and not RAID it could possibly be a typo as you suggest.

How to check? What would happen if a large file is created and then trim command was sent for those clusters without deleting the file? Is marking the blocks with trim enough to not get back the original data? i.e. for those with trim, if you delete a file does trying a file recovery program/undelete fail to properly recover the file if used straight away?

Still leaves the earlier question "how does GC know if a specific part of a media page that is mapped to a physical sector is no longer required if it's not possible to communicate that through the OS?"

3. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    Dufus,

We'll see if it is a typo or not when it goes WHQL.

The 'test' you propose is hard to implement because although TRIM is sent immediately to the SSD - the SSD can choose to implement that TRIM command at any time (not necessarily right away or even 'soon' for us).

As to your last question, I think you may have missed it:

See:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/8028652-post23.html

I basically agree with maximinimaus that GC should be taking care of it..

4. Dufus

Dufus .

Reputations:
    No I didn't miss the answer, but while it may be GC responsibility I don't know how GC would know which pages are no longer required. Guess I've got a fair bit of reading to do if I'm going to have a chance of knowing what is going on under the hood.

Thanks to everyone for the answers, appreciated.

5. Tomy B.

Tomy B. Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Dufus, which SSDs do You have in RAID-0?

6. maximinimaus

maximinimaus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've done following tests to check if TRIM works for SSDs in RAID0 with IRST 11.0.0.1015.
    I filled up my 2 partitions C: and D: to 99 %, then deleted some files on C: to make room for the Anvil benchmark.
    I benched after fill up to 99 %, after delete and idle for about 8 hours, after a subsequently Secure Erase.
    It seems IRST 11.0.0.1015 doesn't include support for TRIM for SSDs in RAID0.
    GC kicks in partially after idling some time, but doesn't restore the full write performance.
    A SE is necessary to get back the full write performance.

Screenies from left to right:
    normal load of C: and D:, after filled up to 99 %, after delete of the files for filling up and idling for 8 hours, after the SE

Attached Files:

7. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:

Great post! Maybe Intel is being optimistic in their help file and hoping to have this added by the time it goes WHQL?

Either way, thank for for this definitive answer. :)

8. Dufus

Dufus .

Reputations:
    Tomy, 2x OCZ 60GB Agility 3, firmware 2.11 which is what they came with.

maximinimaus, that was awesome. Thanks very much for doing that. I was hoping there would be a simpler way to check without having to do so many writes.

9. maximinimaus

maximinimaus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    As I'm using a RAID0 setup, I was curious if Intel finally delivered a solution.
    I think, this was the first time my Sammies were challenged.
    It was a great fun to explore the facts.

10. Dufus

Dufus .

Reputations:
    I wonder why it seems none of these SSD manufacturers use something like a super* page. A page that say contains all zero's and isn't stored on the media but either kept in a reserve space of the internal cache or generated by the firmware.

All those media pages full of zero's could instead be freed by mapping to the super page. Want to do a full format, point all the clusters that are zeroed at the super page, no P/E cycles. Need to do a trim, fill the unused portion of the disk with zero's, no media writes needed, just the mapping changed to the super page while at the same time telling the firmware all those previous media pages that were mapped before can be returned to the pool. Or does something like this exist already?

Plus imagine how much bigger peoples e-peen will be with 0-fill benches lol.

*just made up that name, don't know what to call it really.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.