[?] SSD provisioning

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by jeremyshaw, Oct 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Nope.

/10

2. Dufus

Dufus .

Reputations:
    So if the array is filled up and then files deleted to make room, how is it communicated to the SSD firmware that those pages are no longer required?

3. maximinimaus

maximinimaus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This is the job of the hopefully in the SSD firmware implemented Garbage Collection.

4. Dufus

Dufus .

Reputations:
    IRST help seems to say RAID0 supports pass-through of the trim command or am I reading this wrong?

[​IMG]

EDIT: idk, perhaps older drivers didn't support trim on RAID0. Maybe someone could check their own IRST help and see if that is so.

@maximinimaus, how does GC know if a specific part of a media page that is mapped to a physical sector is no longer required if it's not possible to communicate that through the OS?

5. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    What version of the IRST are you running?

With v10.6.2.x.x here is the 'correct' answer:

Bold mine.

6. maximinimaus

maximinimaus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Following is an excerpt of the Intel document

Intel® Rapid Storage
    Technology 10.5 Release
    Technical Product Specification (TPS) Differences Document
    April 2011
    Revision 1.20

page 47

3.6.3.2 RAID Mode

3.6.3.2.1 TRIM on Pass-thru Disks
    The driver processes the host ATA Data Set Management (DSM) TRIM command on
    any pass-thru disks that support ATA DSM / TRIM in accordance with the ATA-8
    specification.

3.6.3.2.2 TRIM on RAID Volumes
    The TRIM command is not supported on RAID volumes.

3.6.3.2.1 means one also can attach a SSD per SATA/eSATA to a Intel Raid controller. For this type of attachment, TRIM is enabled/supported.

7. Dufus

Dufus .

Reputations:
    Thanks tiller, thought that might be it. I've been running 11.0x since August.

8. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Cool, I've just installed the Alpha version on my U30Jc Intel 320 Series system and am trying it for a few days.

What are you running it on and have you seen any performance improvements with v11?

9. Dufus

Dufus .

Reputations:
    I practically started straight off on 11.0 so couldn't tell you if there are improvements, no problems so far. I suppose if trim in RAID 0 isn't available in earlier versions that must be an improvement. Thought it a bit strange you could send ATA commands to each disk of the array and read SMART etc but not send a trim command.

Originally I was curious to try RAID with 2 cheap disks, (2x 60GB disks cost about $10 more than the 120GB disk where I am) then split them, one for the laptop and one for the desktop but shortly after I bought them I read all the horror stories about SF. I need my laptop to be as reliable as practical even if it is getting old, so decided to leave them both on the desktop with the updates. Been sweet so far, no drop outs or BSOD's.

EDIT: Forgot to mention you might need the 11.0 option ROM FW also for it all to work or maybe the 11.5 option ROM will work as well. You can now use the Anvil SSD Utility Beta9 to check OROM version.

10. madmattd

madmattd Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    TRIM doesn't work through RAID...TRIM DOES work on non-RAIDed drives on a RAID controller though, and this I think is where the confusion is...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.