SSD Optimization in Toughbooks

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Toughbook, Mar 5, 2021.

1. safn1949

safn1949 I'm sure I'm on the wrong planet

Reputations:
    I just installed a special copy of Windows 10 as my 3rd OS on here, it takes less than 9GB on the SSD. I will use it to run a steam game only. I'm on a Samsung desktop.

Guilty as charged on the AC adapters.:D

2. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    Windows 10 really takes care of a lot of stuff that we previously needed to do manually. I don't think we need to worry about any ( I can't recall what it is) special settings for a SSD as Win10 takes care of it for us.

I received my optical drive to hard drive adapter today. I had a 120gb SSD here so I tossed it in the adapter caddy. I totally had no idea what was on that SSD. For whatever reason the BIOS marked that drive as first in boot order. Whatever,... I figured the drive was not bootable anyway.

I fire the Lenovo back up and the background image was different. Hmm odd I thought. After it completed booting into Windows an error popped up about some Panasonic driver it could not load.
    Even more odd.

Then I realized that I had loaded Win10 on that SSD in a different machine. It booted the drive almost error free in a totally different laptop. The drive came out of my CF 52 mk4.
    Bonus was that I had already removed spyware and made that version of Win10 look a lot more like Win7. I may just clone that SSD on to a bigger SSD and be done with it. It would save me hours (possibly days) of re-configuring everything.

Maybe I should make a recovery usb of that pre loaded version of Win10.

UNCNDL1 and Toughbook like this.
  3. Stewboy

Stewboy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I hesitate to admit this here, but I've never done a clean install of Windows 7 or Windows 10. They've come installed on the machines I've bought, and after getting them both the way I wanted them, I've cloned them and transferred them to another machine (of the same make and model, unlike the accidental daredevil Shawn) then added a new license key from a new Windows disk, which I keep in a safe place. So far so good.

4. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    At one point, years ago, I was selling so many Toughbooks that I developed a slipstream XP installation for the Toughbooks I sold. It saved A LOT of time! I had a version for every MK# I'd sell.

But... For my personal PC... I would always do a clean installation. I guess I am just funny that way.

5. Shawn

Reputations:
    Some of the Win 10 tweakers I use

UWT4--A lot of tweaks with this
    Old New Explorer
    Ribbon Disabler
    Classic Shell- now called Open Shell
    DWS lite
    O&O ShutUp10
    Spybot Anti Beacon 2.2--Last free version I think.
    Win Aero Tweaker
    Fileassasin
    Take Ownership -reg file
    Win 7 Login background changer
    T Clock
    Disable autoplay for all drives - reg file

I tired Customizergod also--It seems ok.

6. Stewboy

Stewboy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for that list, Shawn. I'd forgotten how many of those I've used and gotten used to.

7. Shawn

Reputations:
    Happy to help, even if it took a while.