SSD Optimization in Toughbooks

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Toughbook, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    Hello all!

I just got my new FZ-55 in and I love the thing. Lots of cool additions and the graphics card is SWEET! I opened the box, ran the updates, installed Kaspersky and then installed my other go-to programs... Office 2010 Pro and a few GPS programs.

I was disappointed in the boot speed being just under 1 minute. I usually optimize my drives per the Optimization Guide link that Blair posted years ago. I searched for other posts about this and soon realized they were all 6-10 years old... So I thought I would bring it up again. Normally, I'd start here...

https://www.thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-2/2/

However I see they have a newer one to cover Win 8... But I see nothing for Win 10 there. I assume they are all about the same... But Win 10 is "special"... lol

I had Rob at Rugged Depot build me an FZ-55 with a SAMSUNG 980 PRO 2TB PCIe NVMe Gen4 Internal
    Gaming SSD M.2 drive. I don't think I will need extra space anytime soon! I had him pack it with 64GB of RAM as well.

Anyway... Most laptops I have built I have loaded SSDs and used the guide above. It has gotten me down to 25-30 second boot times and overall a speedier machine. Just wondered if people are still following the same advice 5-10 years later.

Thoughts?

2. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
  3. Toughbook

Reputations:
    Shawn... I have seen many of those but I always wonder (with freeware especially) if it is safe to use. I don't want to substitute one issue for another.

I'll wait for your list. I am sure you have vetted the programs...

4. Stewboy

Stewboy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My boot time on my Windows 10 cf-31 (860 EVO 1tb) hovers around 29 seconds, thanks to Winaero Tweaker, which made it easier to disable tons of Windows bloat. It also allowed me to get W10 looking more like Windows 7. I hope Shawn doesn't trash it!

5. Toughbook

Reputations:
    Yeah... I have tried Windows Tweaker and Classic shell to make it look more like Win 7... But I haven't used those yet on this machine. This latest version on the FZ-55 seems more like 7 than I remember and I am getting around fine for now. But I would like to shut down Mr. Gate's crew from prying.... Fo Sho!

Stewboy likes this.
  6. Toyo

Toyo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm assuming you have Fast Boot turned on in the BIOS and in the Power settings in W10?

7. Shawn

Reputations:
    My work PC looks a lot like Win 7. If I can actually remember to look and write down what I used to modify it.
    I am finishing downloading and creating a new Win 10 install stick. If I put the USB stick in my pocket I might remember.

Win 10 20H2 with March 2021 updates.
    My new to me laptop is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. It has a blank 1tb HDD. I will load win 10 on the spinner and test drive until I get all the parts to do a few minor upgrades.

8. Shawn

Reputations:
  9. safn1949

safn1949 I'm sure I'm on the wrong planet

Reputations:
    DWS Lite has always worked well for me, as the above page shows it also can disable many of the bloatware features. CCleaner in the tools section you can uninstall all of the crap .

10. Shawn

Reputations: